What breed and gender? (UPDATED WITH CURRENT PICS -- YET AGAIN!)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DanceswLabs, Aug 20, 2011.

1. DanceswLabs

DanceswLabs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Wake County, NC
    I have four chicks that my broody Leghorn, Stewellen, hatched on July 1. The eggs were not hers; I bought fertile ones. I know that one chick is a Polish tophat and two are Rhode Island Reds (or some variation thereof), but I have a gray mystery chick. Can anyone tell me what breed this gray chick is? And any guesses on the gender of any of them? I suspect that the gray one is a roo, but I don't do a great job of guessing chicken gender....even with 50-50 odds!

Blue chick

[​IMG]

Red #1

[​IMG]

Red #2

[​IMG]

Polish Tophat

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  2. 'EGGS'CELLENT POULTRY! :)

'EGGS'CELLENT POULTRY! :) New Egg

Aug 1, 2011
    The mysterious grey one is a lavender
    Orpington or a blue Cochin! Look them both up and see what resembles it the most!!!!

Red 1- hen

Red 2- hen

Polish top hat- ???????????????[​IMG]

3. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    Mystery chick:hen.Blue andalusian maybe
    #1 hen

#2 hen

#3 roo (fyi its just polish not polish tophat [​IMG] )

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  4. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I disagree. I think the blue is a roo, as is red #1. #2 is definitely a girl. They look like production reds, or maybe New Hampshires. Your golden laced polish is in that weird stage where it might be a girl still. Wait a couple weeks and if the head feathers get messier, it's a boy. If they get neater and more rounded, it's a girl. [​IMG]

5. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    Red #1's saddle and tail feathers make me think roo too. I think girl on red #2 and am I'm leaning toward roo on the blue chick- but can't see his tail. I have no clue for the Polish.

6. arcatamarcia

arcatamarcia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    I agree that the blue chick is probably a roo. The comb and wattles seem way too big for a pullet that young.

7. The Turken Lady

The Turken Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

The mystery chick looks like a Blue Andulasian cockerel,but I'm not sure.

1- Pullet

2- Pullet

3- Golden Laced Polish cockerel?

8. DanceswLabs

Apr 6, 2010
    Wake County, NC
    Thanks for the replies. I will see if I can get better pics today and see if that makes any difference on the red ones. Thanks for the info on the name for the Polish......I don't know where I got tophat from! As for the gray chick, I had been thinking blue orpington, but I hadn't considered lavender. Also, I hadn't thought of blue andalusian. The blue cochin had crossed my mind, but this chick does not have feathers on his legs as I thought those did.

9. DanceswLabs

Apr 6, 2010
    Wake County, NC
    The chicks are a couple of weeks older, and I wonder if there are any more opinions or observations on gender. And I still wonder what Bluey is....I would love for him/her to be a Blue Orpington or Andalusian, but perhaps he/she is just a mutt? I will post them in the same order I posted them initially.

Bluey is first...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DarkRed next...

[​IMG]

Light red is third...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

La Foo is last.....

[​IMG]

Lastly, I have a few groups pictures. I am sorry, but I may have the red chicks mixed up. They are really hard to tell apart!

Stewellen (the broody Leghorn) and Bluey. You can get a view of Bluey's front here...

[​IMG]

All four chicks....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Honeysucklefeathers

Honeysucklefeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    western KY
    Bluey is beautiful. I think Lav Orp roo. I'm not an expert but maybe this will get you more comments [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by