What Breed And Gender

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Pennae, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Pennae

Pennae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2015
    Siddha farm, NSW, AUS
    hi i just bought a pair of geese i would like to know what breed and gender they are because the person i bought them off didnt know what gender and she said they are probs a mix of breeds

i think ones a boy because hes bigger and has bigger feet so yeah
    but any of your help would be great
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

Gender is hard to determine at that age. Just because one is larger than the other does not indicate male. Instead it may just indicate that one hatched the day before the other smaller one. You can expect them to change colors as they mature as well. Geese grow pretty fast so you will need to make sure you can accommodate that growth as regards their housing also. Make sure they can stick their entire bill into the water without actually getting in so that they can clean their nares (nostrils).

What are they being fed?

3. Pennae

Mar 2, 2015
    Siddha farm, NSW, AUS
    all poultry starter crumble

4. Pennae

Mar 2, 2015
    Siddha farm, NSW, AUS
    do you know what breed/s they are and they where hatched on the same day

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They maybe African mixes or brown Chinese mixes but lets see if @jchny2000 thinks they maybe those breeds? as for gender to early one could be a few days older than the other, they sure are precious. Since your using a chick starter be sure to add some Brewers yeast or niacin to the diet. brewers yeast sprinkled over their feed 1 tab per cup of feed or 125 mgs of plain niacin mixed well into a gal of water. per day for 10 weeks. Make sure not to use baking yeast. Brewers yeast or niacin will ensure your ducklings will have strong legs and no neurological problems which a deficiency in niacin can cause lameness and neurological issue and death. If not treated.

Congrats on your new goslings.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Beautiful Goslings [​IMG]The do look very much like Brown Chinese or African, a little early to tell. Legs being all black can change as they mature.

1 person likes this.
  7. Pennae

Mar 2, 2015
    Siddha farm, NSW, AUS
    thanks also my other two adult geese have taken them in is that good will they still like me and can they free range with adults

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Wonderful about your adults they make such great parents. They won't be as friendly as if you raised them yourself but they would eventually be going with the adults anyway so why not give them the privilege of raising them. And good healthy treats are the way to the hearts of geese anyway.[​IMG]
    If you can keep them from going too far from your house where danger maybe waiting like foxes etc. They should be okay to forage with the adults. Adult geese really have no way to protect their young from a pred like a fox although they would probably give their life trying.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  9. Pennae

Mar 2, 2015
    Siddha farm, NSW, AUS
    well i took them away from the adults because at night time they dont give them warmth but the are very protective and will geese take in ducklings

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They may but if they aren't keeping the gosling warm then they probably won't keep the ducklings warm either. I am pretty sure @jchny2000 had a mama goose adopt some Muscovy ducklings

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by