What breed and gender?

carolinakwren

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2016
This is a rescued flock. I suppose its about 10-12 weeks old. I think I have some Easter Eggers but the others I'm not sure of. It was a mysterious find. I'm assuming a bit that they are from the same clutch, but there is some variability in their breed appearance especially among the roosters. I'd love some help! Thanks!

Female Easter Egger? more pics of her later.

2 of these black roos with feathered legs and the the orange one an Easter egger male?

2 more pictures of him. Is it a male? I thought so because of the pointy saddle feathers and tail feathers.

Another pic of the black headed roo.

3 pics of this speckled hen. Is it a hen? An Easter Egger too? She also has feathered legs.

2 pics of this little grey hen. Easter egger?

Black roo with feathered legs. Breed?

This little black hen. Her legs are without feathers.

This is a rescued flock. I suppose its about 10-12 weeks old. I think I have some Easter Eggers but the others I'm not sure of. It was a mysterious find. I'm assuming a bit that they are from the same clutch, but there is some variability in their breed appearance especially among the roosters. I'd love some help! Thanks!

Female Easter Egger? more pics of her later.I think you got lucky and got a female blue buff ameraucana.

2 of these black roos with feathered legs and the the orange one an Easter egger male?
def. two roos and maybe black copper marans? the orange one does look like and ee male and because of the redness of the comb, does it have 3 rows of bumps if so it is most likely a male.

2 more pictures of him. Is it a male? I thought so because of the pointy saddle feathers and tail feathers.

Another pic of the black headed roo.

3 pics of this speckled hen. Is it a hen? An Easter Egger too? She also has feathered legs.
looks like an ameraucana/FBCM cross I can't see feathers on her legs, I would say straight(some splash but not enough) black ameraucana the legs are a nice color.

2 pics of this little grey hen. Easter egger?
could be a buff ameraucana sister of the first one

Black roo with feathered legs. Breed?
probably french black copper marans

This little black hen. Her legs are without feathers.
could be a black copper marans without feathers they are in the french style if they have the foot feathers just regular if no feathers

My thoughts would be those with feathered legs are Marans...mostly French Black Copper Marans

Those with beards are Easter Eggers. Nobody except the black bearded one is a standardized color for Ameraucana so by default would be EE.

I suspicion those that don't fit Marans or EE/Ameraucana is likely a Marans/EE mix.

It also looks like someone may have been going for Olive Eggers with those two bird types (EE and Marans).

LofMc

it really depends on wether you want them for eggs or meat i would choose a white leghorn female because they are the best layers. i have two and i get an egg everyday from those two. the color of the egg is brown of course but i guess thats not very helpful.

LL

This is probably an EE rooster, but wait a bit more before calling it. I've had some EE pullets get a bit of cushion on the tail with a few curled feathers. It's not a true saddle yet...but Ithink the pattern looks more blocky like a rooster.

You probably have 2 FBCM roosters...BUT they do not have the red wing bars yet...and they should be coming in soon.

Since you don't know the exact ages or history, I would not call anything yet. Take a look at my FBCM brood below in my byline. One of my mossy back females had quite the precocious comb. Wait for the red bars to show on the wings to know they are roosters, or saddle feathers, or crowing.

LofMc

One is crowing so far, but it is not the orange one. I have 4 with bright red combs and they are sparring. The orange one has only one row of pebbles.

Last edited:
My thoughts would be those with feathered legs are Marans...mostly French Black Copper Marans

Those with beards are Easter Eggers. Nobody except the black bearded one is a standardized color for Ameraucana so by default would be EE.

I suspicion those that don't fit Marans or EE/Ameraucana is likely a Marans/EE mix.

It also looks like someone may have been going for Olive Eggers with those two bird types (EE and Marans).

LofMc

the blue buff is an accepted color of ameraucanas.

[COLOR=0000FF]the blue buff is an accepted color of ameraucanas.[/COLOR]

There is no blue buff variety. Accepted varieties are black, blue, blue wheaten, brown red, silver, buff, wheaten and white. If you mean blue wheaten, the females are not blue. They are wheaten in color. The OP has EEs.

I suspect LofMc is correct in that someone was trying to create olive eggers.

Back
Top Bottom