What breed AND gender...?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Penny Olive, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Penny Olive

Penny Olive New Egg

Jun 12, 2017
    Hi everyone,
    Long time reader, first time poster here :)
    I bought this guy/gal as a fertile "olive egger" egg and he/she hatched exactly 17 weeks ago today. Now, upon some googling, it doesn't appear as though the afro was supposed to comes as a standard feature. Is anyone able to tell me what you think he/she is? And also if it's a he or a she for that matter?
    Many thanks!

Attached Files:

2. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    :welcome!
    She could be a hybrid crossed with a breed with an afro :) Looks like a hen though.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  3. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Upon further research, the crest seems to be a dominant trait, so I think it could be what I said in my prior post.

4. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    I think she is a hen. This is may just be my crazy chicken mama brain, but strangely, her body looks like a Black sex link.

5. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    I am probably wrong though, you can't breed BSL's like purebreds, I think that they are just hybrids.

6. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Its a pullet and its a mix, what color was the egg?

7. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Olive Eggers are essentially crossbreds. There is no standard or typical look to them. You won't know if she is indeed an Olive Egger until she starts laying. She very likely had and Ameraucauna parent for the blue egg gene. But I'm having a hard time thinking of the other parent breed that would have carried the dark brown egg gene and is crested.

8. Kyanite

Kyanite Loving Life! Premium Member

May 27, 2016
    SE Idaho
    I do think that's indeed a pullet. Like Gray Farms said, the Olive Eggers are basically a mixed breed to get the darker green eggs. I'm going to wager a guess at Cream Legbar and Black Copper Marans based on what she looks like. But really, there's no way to tell for sure. At least one parent had some crested breed though.

9. Penny Olive

Penny Olive New Egg

Jun 12, 2017
    You're all legends! Thank you :) So glad you all think she's a she!
    RE Chicken Girl 1' question, she was hatched from a dark-olive coloured egg so would be lovely if that's what she ends up producing.
    Thanks again, everyone!!

10. jolly wattles

jolly wattles Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2017
    West Tennessee
    this

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by