1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

What breed (and gender)?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by thepumphouse, Jul 31, 2014.

1. thepumphouse

thepumphouse Hatching

May 31, 2014
    Hi there, I'm brand new to BYC and to chickens in general as of this spring.

I just acquired these two in a trade and I have no idea what they are and if they are male or female. Apparently they are pretty young - they previous owner said only a month but I think they have to be older then that....help?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The one has a paler comb and it is flopped over to one side. It's hard to tell in the picture but it is the same size as the other one which appears larger in this pic. It was also hard to capture but they both have a few beautiful greenish/iridescent feathers. And very long tails!

2. uphilljill

uphilljill Songster

Jun 14, 2012
    Southern Adirondacks, NY
    They have to be older than 4 weeks to be fully feathered like this, but I don't recognize the breed. The top pic is a rooster.

3. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Songster

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    Both pics are roosters, with the white ear lobes, I would think brown leghorn maybe

4. texaschickyall

texaschickyall In the Brooder

Jul 7, 2014
    They look much older. The top one is a mature rooster. They look like some sort of bantam to me.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  5. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

They look to be older and maybe phoenix

Meant to ask do they have white ears if so then they could be

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Those are older/mature roosters....not chicks of undetermined gender. You were, unfortunately, taken advantage of by someone wanting to pawn off some unwanted roosters, imo.

1 person likes this.
  7. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    What did you trade for them?

8. Summertime7921

Summertime7921 In the Brooder

Jun 12, 2014
    Both roosters, way older than a month. Leghorn? Or game mix?

9. thepumphouse

thepumphouse Hatching

May 31, 2014
    Wow so overwhelming response that they are roosters huh? The woman I got them from told me they were both hens....

I'm very disappointed. Traded her a Pure silkie cockerel and a mille fleur. I wanted only females as I live in town and can't have crowing. I would't have expected such dishonesty in the chicken world...

10. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    It happens - the chicken world is no different the rest of the world, unfortunately - there are good apples and bad apples. The bad apples will exploit the inexperience and lack of knowledge of those they can.
    I would suggest familiarizing yourself with the most basic differences between males and females (ie the saddle and hackle feathering as well as well developed sickle tail feathers visible on your birds that make their gender easily determined to those who know what they are looking at/for) -- equipping yourself with a little basic knowledge will go a long way in preventing anyone from being able to pull one over on you like this again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by