What breed and gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shyylo, Aug 12, 2014.

1. shyylo

shyylo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2013
    [​IMG][​IMG]This little one is maybe 7-9 weeks. Not sure. Just got neck feathers in last week. Was all white now I see light brown and a few spots of black. [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  2. aquagolda

aquagolda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2013
    New Jersey
    definetly a pullet and I think its a white leghorn although I don't have one it would be my best guess

3. cmchickens

cmchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    Bigfork, Montana
    At that age, with so much comb development, that is a cockerel. I don't know about breed.

4. aquagolda

Apr 27, 2013
    New Jersey
    I have a chicken the same age different breed and the comb and head and wobbles is exactly the same

5. shyylo

Mar 27, 2013
    What breed do you have?

6. aquagolda

Apr 27, 2013
    New Jersey
    I have a lavender orpington and its a pullet and same age too

7. shyylo

Mar 27, 2013
    Could you post a pic? I got this one and an Easter egger whom I am pretty sure is a cockeral. He is older by a couple weeks and is always jumping at and pecking this one. This one stood up a few times but usually runs around and away. I am worried about the red comb and it may be older than I think. The shape of head reminds me of a pullet where the ee has a manly big head. This ones eyes are rounder and is more dainty. However, I have seen it fluff beck feathers once when the ee jumped at it.

8. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    x2 Im thinking an EE crossed with white leghorn, the comb is mixed between straight and pea, and it has smaller puffy checks, so basically an EE.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  9. shyylo

Mar 27, 2013
    Sunshine- that would make sense. Since I believe they came from the same farm. Hard to tell on gender for me. The comb is weird but red. I guess I will just have to wait. I wonder what color eggs if that's the mix. Blue?

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That red a comb at that young of an age (going by the size of the bird, not necessarily your stated age) is male. Agree he could be an EE/leghorn mix, but with that straight comb probably wouldn't have blue/green egg genes anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by