What Breed? And Hen or ROO?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by vikkic08, Mar 24, 2013.

1. vikkic08

vikkic08 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2012
    When I bought this fellow I was supossed to be buying all buff orpingtons. They were only a couple weeks old.
    Well It is NOT An orpington. I know the gentlemen has Buff Orpingtons, Barred rocks. White leghorns, and Rhode Island Reds. My guess is mix between RIR & White Leghorn. Which would be a red-sex link, right? If so, what gender? Ive seen photos of both, but hens have way more red, and roos have way more white. So Im confused!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    I don't think it's a sex link. I've read you can't use a leghorn to make one. Just a crossbred cockerel. Sometimes, the roosters and hens get out of their pens.

3. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

You're probably correct that it's a RIR crossed with White Leghorn--however, you can't make a sex-link with White Leghorns because they're not silver and may or may not have the dominant white gene.

How old is your chicken? If it's a few months old, it's probably a hen, since I don't see any pointed hackle or saddle feathers.

4. vikkic08

vikkic08 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2012
    I bought them in December at 4 weeks old. So probably 4 months

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    You've got a bird that has the right parents for Sexlink offspring, but crossed the wrong way. This is similar to what the roosters looked like when I got ahold of RIR hen eggs that were covered by a Leghorn rooster. If the parent colors had been the other way around, I would have (and you would have) gotten Sexlinks.

6. daniel rainey

daniel rainey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2013
    i think its a hen. but i have no clue what breed, but the shape dose look like that of a white leghorn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by