1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed and how long to get to laying age

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Starcey, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Starcey

Starcey New Egg

Jun 17, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    I have about 12 hens of different breeds currently. About a month ago a friend wanted to get rid of 1 baby chick. She had no info on it. I've had it for 4 weeks and it as believed to have hatched at least 4-8 weeks prior to that. From these pictures, can anyone tell what breed this might be and how long before it gets big enough to go in with my other hens. My guess is that it might be a barred rock. But I'm just surprised its not growing faster.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Your pictures ( actually the chicks - yours are fine) are somewhat blurry, but I believe that you have a hatchery quality silver sebright - or perhaps a silver spangled hamburg. It is a bantam and will never be as large as your large fowl.

1 person likes this.
  3. Starcey

Starcey New Egg

Jun 17, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    Interesting... that is what I was afraid of. I don't want the others to pick and pluck at this smaller one. Thanks for replying.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree with sourland.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by