What breed (and maybe gender) is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stoutfamily, Aug 5, 2010.

1. stoutfamily

stoutfamily Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2010
    Tempe, AZ
    My husband and I recently moved into a new place. The previous renters left this chicken and I'm trying to figure out what breed it is. I'm pretty sure it's a she, but please correct me if I'm wrong. We haven't found any eggs yet, but she is free to roam the neighborhood as our yard is not fenced in. I started calling her Rockadoodle even though she's not a rooster.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

barred rock, hatchery stock ??? Hard to tell with no tail. [​IMG] I would guess roo but it could be a manly hen! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

it looks like a he to me, I'm surprised that you don't hear him crowing, those saddle feathers look suspicious to me. Looks a bit immature yet, must be young.
    That's an interesting comb he's got going on. Looks like something got his tail too.

A Barred Rock should have yellow legs. I bet it's probably a mutt.

4. stoutfamily

Aug 5, 2010
    Tempe, AZ
    No, no crowing... not yet anyway. It mostly sleeps in the house, so I think I would definitely hear it. From what I've gathered from one of my neighbors, its at least 3 months old. He said the chicken was here when he moved in and that was about 3 months ago.

Also, I don't think the previous owners took very good care and it was recently attacked by something (a dog I'm guessing; all the neck feathers were missing) and so it has looked a little ruffled since we've been here. Doesn't look all smooth and nice like most of the chicken pictures of seen on here. Not sure if that makes a difference.

5. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    looks alot like my almost 9 week old barred rock roos
    [​IMG]

6. stoutfamily

Aug 5, 2010
    Tempe, AZ
    It does. Does he already crow? How soon would it start crowing if it was a he?

7. bigchicken2

bigchicken2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Barred Rock roo

8. Go Eggs Go

Go Eggs Go Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2010
    BR Roo!

9. WA4-Hpoultrymom

WA4-Hpoultrymom Never enough coops...

Feb 5, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    My Coop
    Are the legs a deep yellow or white? If white, she may be a Cuckoo Maran. If yellow, Barred Plymouth Rock.

10. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    HEN.Legs are light yelow because she is laying for long time.And... every body who say that is a rooster,please post pictures of your chickens.I am not sure you know what you have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by