What breed and/or gender is this chick?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MissCluckCluck, Apr 4, 2012.

1. MissCluckCluck

MissCluckCluck Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2012
    SW Ontario, Canada
    I received this (EE?) chick at the beginning of March, (about a month old by then) so it's probably ALMOST 2 months. This one has some pretty neat colouring- but likes to spar with another chick. Thoughts on gender and breed?

[​IMG]
    Side view^

[​IMG]
    ^comb view.. Weird looking, eh?

2. Silkie Chick

Silkie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Definitely EE, and I think it could be a girl. But it could be easily a boy as well.

3. MissCluckCluck

Feb 19, 2012
    SW Ontario, Canada
    It looks like it's going to be one of those orange-coloured EEs. I wonder if roos can have colouring like that?

4. redheadfarmer

redheadfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2011
    SW Ontario
    I have a match to that one! Not sure about the comb on mine but your's is definitely a rose comb. So far none of mine have crowed but several of them like to chest thump each other.

BTW you did an awesome job tonight. I don't know if you could hear her, but everytime you came on stage, Adrianna said "There's Kaylin!".

1 person likes this.
  5. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    It's an Easter Egger ROO! Definitely! Girls do commonly come in that color, but the black barring/lacing is very even, not patchy, and they wouldn't have the patches of bright red on the wings. Plus that comb! My girls had no comb to speak of until the week they started laying.

6. MissCluckCluck

Feb 19, 2012
    SW Ontario, Canada
    Awe, Thanks! She's so sweet! [​IMG] Yeah, this orangey and my pure black one like to spar. I'm thinking they're both roos. The pure black one looks like it's really pure though, which is nice.

I was wondering about the red too, EE roos have the rusty shoulders. Isn't the comb a bit weird for an EE? Don't they have pea combs?

7. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    No, EE's can have different types of combs, they are just usually something flat or crossed with a pea comb. Yours looks more like a pea comb than what my EE's have. They all have cushion combs.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    EE cockerel

9. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Looks like a cockerel to me. He'll be getting those long sickle feathers in soon, it looks like.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by