1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Breed and sex are my baby chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pwand, May 13, 2008.

1. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    I have 5 chicks that are 4.5 weeks old, I was told the white ones are Americana's, the other two look like Barred Rocks to me. I suspect they are rosters.

This one I wonder if its a Rooster, Chick 1
    [​IMG]

Chick2
    [​IMG]

Chick 3 This one has a lot of feathers coming in around its checks and under chin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick 4
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick 5
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][/img]

Thanks Emily

2. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    From what I saw of the one white chick's legs, they are Ameraucanas or EE's. The barred rocks could be boys but it's early. The EE's are going to have a different comb.

3. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Is it too early to tell what the sex is for the white ones? What does EE's stand for, I'm not familiar with chickens. Still learning, Thanks Emily

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If you look at coloring on the BRs I would say pullets, however those combs are looking pretty big and pink so could be roos. Fat lot of help I am, lol.

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    The first 2 pix look like roo's to me because of how red their combs are at 4 and a half weeks old. A girls' comb won't get that red until they are getting close to laying age.

#'s 3,4 and 5 look like pullets to me.

Quote:EE= Easter Egger aka hatchery Araucanas or Ameraucanas

Dawn

6. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    The first two look like roos and it's hard to tell on the EE chicks. But look at their combs really close. If they have one raised line(from the top of the comb to the bottom) and the comb is narrow, it's most likely a pullet. If they have three raised lines it's probably a roo. From what I can tell in the photos, they look like pullets. Could you get a closer and clearer pic of their combs? Anyway, the one and three bump thing worked perfect for me...all mine with a very thin, one-bump comb turned out to be pullets (so far! [​IMG] )

Love the white EE's!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by