What breed and sex are these chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by crittergal, Apr 14, 2008.

1. crittergal

crittergal Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2008
    Ohio
    We got 10 chicks from TSC, but we are not sure what breed they are, maybe the golden ones are buff orps? I have no idea what the black ones are, the one has a little bit of white on its belly and eyes and the other 2 are solid black. A couple days later we got 6 chicks from our local feed store; they said they were Ameraucanas, but after reading many of the posts on here I am not sure what they are. I am also trying to figure out how many pullets we have and how many are roos? We have had them about a week and a half, I am not sure how old they were when we got them. Is it too soon to tell? The ones from the feed store were bigger than the ones from TSC, are they a bigger breed or are they just older?

P.S. I numbered them to make it easier to identify the different chicks. (Just on the computer, not actually on them lol)

Thank you!!!!

Smokie
    [​IMG]

Orange Chick
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Speckles
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think this one will be white. It also looks like a roo. what do you think? (#10)
    [​IMG]

I am hoping this is a blue hen [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#8 is maybe a buff orp? or a gold sex link? we have 3 of these, and they all look the same. I think (hope) they are all hens. I am not sure about #9, we thought it was a hen, but its comb is bigger than the other ones - do we need to change her/his name from Lizzie? :eek:
    [​IMG]

I love the color on this one!!!
    [​IMG]

Here are the 3 black ones, is #13 a roo? [​IMG] Why does 9 have a yellow comb and 12 & 13 have black combs? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for so many pictures!

Thank you for your opinions! [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Your pics aren't showing up, but I'd like to welcome you to the board!

From a few that I looked at, it looks like you have some rir's (brown with white and red in wings growing in), australops (black with some white on face), EE's (5,3,1) and sexlinks (golden ones with yellow feet).

3. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    Smokie
    [​IMG]

Orange chick
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Speckles
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

"I think this one will be white. It also looks like a roo. what do you think? (#10)"
    [​IMG]

"I am hoping this is a blue hen big_smile "
    [​IMG]

"#8 is maybe a buff orp? or a gold sex link? we have 3 of these, and they all look the same. I think (hope) they are all hens. I am not sure about #9, we thought it was a hen, but its comb is bigger than the other ones - do we need to change her/his name from Lizzie? yikes"
    [​IMG]

"I love the color on this one!!!"
    [​IMG]

"Here are the 3 black ones, is #13 a roo? sad Why does 9 have a yellow comb and 12 & 13 have black combs? hmm"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just reposting these. [​IMG]

4. crittergal

Apr 13, 2008
    Ohio
    Thank you for your opinions and for posting my pics!!!! Any ideas on 6 and 10? Smokie (6) is confusing me, cause her feathers look like the other EEs but her legs are a different color. Speckles (5) doesn't have as many feathers coming in as the others its age, does that mean its a boy?

5. crittergal

Apr 13, 2008
    Ohio
    Does anyone else have any ideas on these chicks?

6. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    First let me start by saying these are just guesses on the breeds, I have no idea on the sex yet.

#6 Wyandotte, cant tell, but I think its a golden laced. It does have a rose comb
    #7 Possibly a New Hampshire Red
    #1,2,4,5 EE
    #10 could be a white rock or a white leghorn
    #8 think is a sexlink
    #9 black australorp

The others I can't see very well and Im not really sure. The others I think are educated guesses. Hope this helps.

7. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Just guesses on a few:

2, 3, 4, 5- EE (based on legs looking green. No puffy cheeks, though. I would have said Wyandottes for 4 and 5 except for the green legs!) If 3's legs are more grey than green, maybe a Blue Andalusion?
    7A, 7B- RIR

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by