1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Breed and sex are these? Pic Heavy

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by margali, Nov 13, 2011.

1. margali

margali Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2011
    Help, I inherited chickens and know almost nothing about them. Reading a ton on here. All of these were bought by my renter in about August at a poultry swap. The big ones were supposed to be hens ready to start laying. The two small ones were week old chicks, no guess on sex by seller. I'm hoping at least the younger ones are girls.

Chicken #1 Big White
    Weighs about 7lbs and has been crowing every morning for the last week.
    Ameracuna? Roo
    [​IMG]

Chicken #2 Big Red
    Unknown breed? Roo? Today when I let them free range, Big Red and Big White had a staring contest. Both were fluffing up their head feathers a lot.
    [​IMG]

Chicken #3 Spunky
    Unknown breed and sex. Please be a girl
    Keeps on attacking my shoe laces. Lowest on the pecking order if that makes any difference.
    [​IMG]

Chicken #4 Spots (The small one in the middle.)
    Unknown breed and sex. Please be a girl.
    [​IMG]

Sorry about photo size. They show as smaller cropped in photobucket but show up large here?

Any ideas about genders and breeds would be appreciated. I want them healthy and to have eggs. I also could use ideas about quiet egg or dual purpose breeds for SE Iowa. Next year I am going to get pullets from a breeder or farm store.

Margali

2. Patches The Hen

Patches The Hen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2011
    Big white is a absolutley a male [​IMG] , but I'm not sure of the breed.

Big Red is a male, he looks like he might me a Rhode Island Red mixed with something else?

Spunky is a girl [​IMG] and she looks like she's an araucana?

Spots looks like a girl. Not sure of the breed.

Good luck! [​IMG]

3. RoosterRidge

RoosterRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    [​IMG]
    They are beautiful is all I know... My guess about the first 2 I would say roos but I am not a pro... They look like they have been very well taken care of... Hopefully this will bump you up so someone who may be able to help will reply...

4. RoosterRidge

RoosterRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    Oh and the last one looks like what I was told was a Tetra Tint... We have 2 and they have a really sweet personality...

5. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    1 Roo, most likely a mixed breed, but very hansom.

2 Roo, also likely mixed. Maybe orpington mix. At leas that is what it reminds me of.

3 hen, I'm pretty sure. Not the best picture for guessing the sex. I am almost positive that is a EE.

4 hen I think. The picture is kind of small. I am unsure of the breed, do you have a larger photo?

6. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    Spunky looks like my EE girl - she lays a beautiful blue/green egg, though isn't real friendly.

7. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Big White and Big Red are obviously roosters, like you said. [​IMG] Big White looks like some kind of mix -- not sure, but with something barred. Big Red I'd say is either a Buff Orpington mix or a New Hampshire.

Spunky and Spot are pullets. [​IMG] Spunky is an Easter Egger, and Spot is likely a mix.

Don't be afraid to ask ANY questions you might have on here! We all love to help out. [​IMG]

8. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:x2 [​IMG]

9. margali

margali Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2011
    Thanks for all the help! Now I need to figure out what I'm going to do with two roosters. I can't have noise complaints from the neighbors. I'm also on a super tight budget and not sure I can afford to have two roosters just eating.

10. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    My guesses...

Big White - definitely a rooster, possibly a Delaware mix

Big Red - definitely a rooster, probably got some Orpington in him

Spunky - not sure on sex, how old is s/he? Leaning toward girl. Looks like an Ameraucana or Easter Egger.

Spots - girl. I'm not sure on breed, probably a mix.

As far as breed recommendations for next year, stay away from the white egg laying breeds (Leghorns, Minorcas, etc.), as they tend to be really noisy and skittish. If you're looking for breeds that will lay very well, consider Rhode Island Reds, Red Sexlinks (aka Golden Comets, Red Stars, Cinnamon Queens, Gold Sexlink, etc.), Black Sexlinks (aka Black Stars), Black Australorps, and Barred Rocks.

Have fun with your chickens! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by