What breed and sex is this snood-bitten turkey?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Eggs4Sale, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    This is the turkey with the bitten-off snood. I'm guessing she's a hen since my DS says he saw our bronze standing on and around her while biting her snood. How romantic. I then watched 'her' lay down while the tom stood on her, stood off her, stood on her, stood off her, and on and on. She was very patient. He didn't do the deed, though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the bitten-off snood, and the unicorn horn that is now growing from it.
    [​IMG]
    When I gobbled and whistled at her today, she reddened everywhere on the snood except the weird projection part. Sounds beautiful, doesn't it?

Both turkeys were purchased at the feed store on June 11th, so they're three months old.

At what age will they actually mate successfully?

But more importantly, can anyone tell me if this is a hen or tom, and is she/he a Royal Palm, or a White (as the feed store said) or an accidental mix?

Thank you!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  2. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    Turkeys hatched this year will breed early next spring. That is a Royal Palm and it is probably a hen. It should have been strutting and trying to gobble at this age if it was a gobbler. You can feel of it's breast just below the neck and if there is no beard bump it is for sure a hen but my Royal Palm hen as well as my older Bourbon Red hen have beards so the presence of the beard bump is not a sure sign of a tom but no beard bump is a safe bet you have a hen.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  3. Eggs4Sale

Jun 29, 2009
    They both strutted last month for an intruder, but lately, the bronze struts and the white one doesn't.

I can't tell if what they're doing is gobbling. I youtubed turkeys gobbling, and they didn't sound like mine. These two still sound like they did when they were a month old.

Do you think she's pure royal palm or mixed with something?

I sure am glad to have someone who actually deals with this breed every day to answer my questions! I LOVE BYC!

4. Struttn1

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    It looks like a purebreed to me. Some RP's have the black speckling on the tail while some are pure white on the tail with only the black bands.

5. Eggs4Sale

Jun 29, 2009
    Hm. Yours just looks so much more barred. Clean barred.

6. Struttn1

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    That is a young bird. I bet the barring gets darker as she gets older. That tom is really staining her feathers on her back and tail.

7. Eggs4Sale

Jun 29, 2009
    Do you happen to have a photo of one of your hens when they were around 3 months old?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by