What breed and sex is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lagniappe Alpacas, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Lagniappe Alpacas

Lagniappe Alpacas In the Brooder

May 1, 2011
    Somerset, Virginia
    I ordered a brown layer assortment and roos were included for packing.The breeds are listed below that were in the assortment and I ordered 3 Americuanas.They are just over 6 weeks old. Boy or girl and what breed? Thanks for your help.

Breeds that could be included in this assortment are: Golden Buff, White Rock, Barred Rock, Speckled Sussex, Rhode Island Red, Black Australorp, Buff Orpington, Delaware, New Hampshire Rd, Black Jersey Giant, Silver & Golden Laced Wyandotte, Dominique, Columbian Wyandotte, Dark Cornish, Light Brahma, Partridge Rock.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Looks like a Barred Rock, and a pullet. Barred Rocks have that coloring and comb, and the females are dark like that, if it were a cockerel, it would be lighter colored. Congrats! I love my BRs from a hatchery and they lay every day!

3. Lagniappe Alpacas

May 1, 2011
    Somerset, Virginia
    Barred Rock was my guess when we got the chicks. I have 3 of these and will be happy with them if that's what they are. Thanks for the help!

4. hdowden

hdowden Crowing

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    its a barred rock...oh your am's are actually ee's [​IMG]

5. Lagniappe Alpacas

May 1, 2011
    Somerset, Virginia
    Yes, on the EEs, but they were sold as Americaunas when I ordered, but I notice the hatchery changed that to EEs recently.

6. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Songster

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Doesn't matter. No hatchery sells pure Ameraucanas - when they can't spell the name correctly, that's the first tip they're mutts [​IMG]

7. hdowden

hdowden Crowing

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    hatchies misrepersent the breed of americaunas, i'm guessing to get a bigger profit off them

8. Lagniappe Alpacas

May 1, 2011
    Somerset, Virginia
    Thanks for the help everyone.

9. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

You're welcome, looks like you got a nice group of chicks. That BR is nicer looking than my hatchery chicks were! I still love mine tho--hatchery or no.

Good for you. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  10. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Songster

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Keep an eye on that comb - if it takes off and gets really red or much bigger in the next few weeks, it's a cockerel, regardless of feather color. It would really help if we could see the legs on your chicks. It's not poisonous to touch them, I promise [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by