What breed and sex (pics)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by montverdechick, Apr 13, 2007.

1. montverdechick

montverdechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2007
    Central Florida
    I have 12 five week old pullet chicks. I have a question about three of them. First, I thought this one was a Red Sex Link pullet, but it is much lighter than the other two (they all looked the same when they arrived) and this one is getting some black edges to it's neck and wing feathers. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, I am wondering if this Amerucana is a cockeral? It's much more dominant than the others and has longer neck feathers that stand up a lot. Is it too early to tell? Can pullets have long neck feathers as well? I hope so.

[​IMG]

Finally, this is Annabelle. She is one of my Amerucanas and I am guessing that she is a buff. Will she turn completely buff or is there a chance she'll stay part white?

[​IMG]

BTW, these pictures were taken today. This is their 4th time going outside into the run. High of 89 today and sunny in Central FL!! Wonder when they will start coming out on their own...I still have to catch them and nicely toss them out! :)

Thanks!

2. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
  3. montverdechick

montverdechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2007
    Central Florida
    If RSLs can be light or dark, then that must be it...she's just lighter. I love that she will be different.

The feathers on the next of the Amerucana are long, but rounded at the ends. I am worried that it's a roo, but I guess I'll know for sure in a week or two.

Any ideas about the buff one...will it change color completely? It was all white at one point.

Thanks!

4. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    Does the Amerucana Have Saddle feathers coming out? At 3 months a rooster should start to crow.

I'm not sure but the buff one will probably stay that color till she molts. Then she may change color a little.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Maybe it's just the picture, but the legs on that first chick look very thick compared to the other chicks. Are you sure it's a pullet? I do not want to alarm you, so just take a look at the legs and compare with your other chicks. The cockerels usually have much thicker legs, but like I say, it could just be that picture. Sometimes what we see with our eyes just doesn't come across true on camera; and vice versa-sometimes the pictures show us what we didn't see with our eyes.

6. SnowTrillium

SnowTrillium Just Hatched

Feb 3, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This young cochin is about 8- 9 weeks. I am wondering if We have a pullet or a cockerel.
    What do you fine folks think?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by