What breed and sex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cbostow, Mar 29, 2017.

1. cbostow

cbostow Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2017
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hi all,
    I got these chicks 4.5 weeks ago so they are about 5 weeks old. Could you help me tell what breed they may be as well as their sex. I got them out of a random "pullet" so I am hoping they are females. [​IMG]. The one that is a silver laced Sebright (totally guessing but feel confident) is a close up of the head. Hoping it is a hen as well.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    they are showing some red combs and wattles at this early age - another 3 weeks and you can get more than a guess. The silver laced Sebright will be harder to sex. Both genders have "henny" feathers so can be more difficult to decide.

3. cbostow

cbostow Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2017
    So does that mean a rooster? Sorry I am all new to this

4. -Wirth-

-Wirth- Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2017
    Northwest Florida
    Cockerels (young roosters) tend to get more red in the combs and wattles at an early age. I think that's what you are asking.

5. cbostow

cbostow Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2017
    Thanks for your inputs. I am so sad at this[​IMG] I am not allowed to have roosters. My 4 year old will be so sad. So there is no breed that may be a gen with a red comb at 5-6 weeks? Well I guess I will hope the red and California grey are hens... as well as my silkies

6. -Wirth-

-Wirth- Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2017
    Northwest Florida
    What she was saying was that although they are showing signs of being cockerel at this point, if you post new pictures at 8 weeks of age we can give you a better guess at sex.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Sebright looks like a pullet. The other two are cockerels.

8. cbostow

cbostow Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2017
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I was also looking at the feathers on the neck. They don't seem pointy to me. Haha sorry I am so eager to know. The stores only carry chicks for so long and my goal was to have 4 egg layers. I can't have roosters per the ordinance. Also, I am limited on 8 chickens. Thank you to all who have given input. Also, what do people do with roosters when they can't have them? I don't know if I would be able to use them for meat, I have never done that before.[​IMG]

9. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Pullets, regardless of breed, do not begin to develop in the comb until they are near laying age. A bright red comb by 8 weeks old is a sure indication of a male.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  10. cbostow

cbostow Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2017
    Ok thank you. I will try to get two more to replace these guys! :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by