What breed and sex

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kiwiyates, Nov 18, 2010.

1. kiwiyates

kiwiyates New Egg

Feb 16, 2009
    I was given these 2 beauties. Former owner indicated they were hens...but, they are huge...and crowing. What breed and sex do you think they are? They look like hens to me - no roostery tail feathers and combs/wattles normal hen size.....but their body size and the crowing??? I'm confused. They are very feathered - including the feet. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Melissa in Central Florida

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Both look like boys to me

3. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Assuming they both have feathered feet, they both look like Cochin roos to me.

4. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Quote:X2 Definitely see saddle feathers on the splash. Could be Marans or a cross with Marans? Not real sure

5. Raven81

Raven81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
    Young cochin roos

6. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    i'm thinking lf cochin mixes. those long pointed and shinny feathers in the neck and saddle are giveaway that they are roos to me, but very young and still growing since the combs are not very large or feathers long yet. sometimes the wing bows are also a different color than the rest of the body. your blue boy looks like my EE x Cochin boy but mine has much more red in his wing bows that yours at the moment.

if they are crowing that is a sure sign they are roos. it is very rare to have a crowing/laying hen and i've only heard of it in sebrights and polish. i have heard of one breed going through a sex change from the hen to a roo.

do you have any pics of their feet and toes? if we could see the color of those that may help out with their breed possibilities!

7. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Both are roos. I think they're Cochin or Cochin mixes.

9. CheepSunglasses

CheepSunglasses Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    (1) Blue Copper Marans and (2) Splash Marans. Both he-men. Yes, they get pretty big.

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Agreed. Tails are not like cochin tails, are like marans. Unfortunately, you're not going to get any eggs to confirm it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by