What breed and sex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by StuartLee, Jul 24, 2011.

1. StuartLee

StuartLee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2011
    Hi all, any help with this chicken please.
    IM hoping it's a sussex hen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers Stu..

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    Looks like a columbian wyandotte to me but the shanks should be yellow. I know there is another breed that looks similar but I can't for the life of me think of the name. Anyone else got any ideas?

Edited to add: Ok a sussex and columbian look almost identical. Yours looks like a sussex because of the leg coloration.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  3. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Light Sussex, think it's a pullet, but not sure. Not much of a tail, but a lot of comb/wattle. How old is she?

4. StuartLee

Jul 2, 2011
    Not sure of the age but she had layed an egg in the shop just before I bought her. But I'm just making sure she is a hen and that they gave me the right one..

5. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Well, if she's that old and is laying, I guess the pullet guess was right. She has the markings, comb and white legs of a Lt. Sussex, so I think you got what you wanted. [​IMG] [​IMG]

ETA: [​IMG]

6. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Quote:Sorry to be the party pooper but it looks like a sussex cockerel it looks like its young and it has the large bright red comb and wattles which makes me think its a cockerel, It is deffinately a sussex, columbian wyandottes have rose combs and yellow legs and this boy has a Single Comb and white legs. Also the hackles look like they're pointed in the picture.

7. StuartLee

Jul 2, 2011
    Nooooo. Lol. I can't have another roo.. I'll have to check in the shop tomorrow, it's only down the road. One of em had just layed an egg and I'd asked for that one.

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Light Sussex Rooster..

Chris

9. Taylor

Taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    looks like a light sussex, and a rooster to me. but may be a pullet, they'll surprise you sometimes!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by