What breed and sex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lagniappe Alpacas, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Lagniappe Alpacas

Lagniappe Alpacas Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    Somerset, Virginia
    I ordered a brown layer assortment and roos were included for packing.The breeds are listed below that were in the assortment and I ordered 3 Americuanas.They are just over 6 weeks old. Boy or girl and what breed? Thanks for your help.

Breeds that could be included in this assortment are: Golden Buff, White Rock, Barred Rock, Speckled Sussex, Rhode Island Red, Black Australorp, Buff Orpington, Delaware, New Hampshire Rd, Black Jersey Giant, Silver & Golden Laced Wyandotte, Dominique, Columbian Wyandotte, Dark Cornish, Light Brahma, Partridge Rock.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. crankster76

crankster76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    Kingston,Tn.
    looks more like a red sex link than a RIR.

3. Lagniappe Alpacas

May 1, 2011
    Somerset, Virginia
    Any chance it's one of the EE's? Do any of the sex links have black in their wings? All mine have white.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  4. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i say hatchery RIR, also known as production red. they have black in there feathers for a while

5. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    NOT the same thing.
    Rhode Island Red is a PURE breed. Red Sex Links are NOT.

6. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    X2

7. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

yes but hatcherys sell production reds as RIRs. ive had it happen many times when i ordered RIRs. they were nothing like my show quality ones.
    i wasnt saying they were pure RIRs. I was just saying thats what some hatcherys call there production reds.

8. lolita117

lolita117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Hestand, KY

3X

Which hatchery did you get your assortment from? I got a brown egg layers special from Murray McMurray.
    Here is a picture of my Rhode Island Red:
    [​IMG]

She could very well be a EE but here is a picture of my New Hampshire Red. She has black on her tail and her wing tips. I've never opened her wings up to see how the marking look, but she also has the black tip on some of the feathers on her neck like yours seem to have.
    [​IMG]
    But I'm leaning towards EE, especially with that marking around her eye.

9. hen, hatchery NHR

Actually the more I look, the more I may agree with lolita. She is just a tad cheeky feathered too which would def confirm the EE

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  10. Lagniappe Alpacas

May 1, 2011
    Somerset, Virginia
    She came from Meyers' brown assortment layers. Not sure her comb is EE, but I'm very new at this. There's just something about her coloring that want to suggest that to me. RIR, was my first choice from the list.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by