What breed and what sex?

Lynn Manes

Songster
6 Years
Mar 18, 2015
California

This is Oops. Can anyone tell me first what breed, and can you tell in the photo, bc Oops is young there, if he is in fact, a rooster or not? I sexed him at the store. Thought he was a hen. Got him home and he spent all his time once he was integrated into the flock, in sitting in a nest box inside the coop.So, I thought,"Yep, a hen." That was until the day I saw him mount my bantam hen, Diva, but none of my other hens. But,later,my rooster mounted Oops. Now, I think we are both confused. "He" has never crowed, nor has "she" ever laid an egg. I can't catch Oops to have another look, but whatever gender, he knows his name and listens to my commands like when he flies over the gate to wander around in our backyard. I'll say, Go back over." (in the coop and run area), and Oops will do just that. So, whatever Oops is, I can say he or she is one great chicken :)

How old is Oops? I think Oops is a mixed breed so not sure how to tell. The photo isn't very clear - but, the comb is odd looking. You may have caught Oops on a hen because "she" may be displaying dominance over her. Could mean OOps wants to be alpha hen. I don't think a rooster would be spending so much time in a nesting box.

Or if a male, he isn't crowing because the older rooster will beat him up. He also may be spending time in the nest box to hide from the other flock members who may be bullying him/her.

If Oops was young in the photo (how young) Really need a photo of OOPs right now at present age. Oops does sound like a very smart chicken, I hope you will keep anyway.

How old is Oops? I think Oops is a mixed breed so not sure how to tell. The photo isn't very clear - but, the comb is odd looking. You may have caught Oops on a hen because "she" may be displaying dominance over her. Could mean OOps wants to be alpha hen. I don't think a rooster would be spending so much time in a nesting box.

Or if a male, he isn't crowing because the older rooster will beat him up. He also may be spending time in the nest box to hide from the other flock members who may be bullying him/her.

If Oops was young in the photo (how young) Really need a photo of OOPs right now at present age. Oops does sound like a very smart chicken, I hope you will keep anyway.
Thanks, and yes, regardless if Oops is male or female, it's here to stay. He no longer sits in the nest box all day, bc once I started shooing him out, he learned very quickly. I keep my Diva in the coop all day now, bc she is tiny and afraid of all the others,especially my frizzle roo. Plus she gets out into the yard at times and I'm afraid she will wander away. It was Diva that Oops was on, and she's by no means an alpha hen. He's never attempted to bother any of my other hens. He knows his name, and minds me very well.Opps is quite smart. I'll see if I can post a new pic of him today. I'm not certain if I'm seeing spurs on his legs now or if it's just his feet. I'm also not certain of the age either. We got Oops and another very small hen at the same time, who began laying before I integrated them into the flock. I kept them incubated for a couple of months at least. I think it was back in March when we got both of them, and they looked to be around 4 months old I'm guessing. This is a local feed store and they must never question where, what or when on birds brought in by locals. I've stopped buying from them, bc they aren't knowledgeable enough; and plus that,they raised the prices on these unknown chickens to more than I'm willing to pay. I tried sexing them both the day I bought them and thought they were both females. I will tell you that Oops has a very fluffy bottom now. I don't know if that means anything or not. And he shows no dominance nor fear toward the other chickens and has integrated nicely with the flock, but still has a mind of his own, and will break away from them and just wander around another area of the yard. He always seems so content. I just wish he'd let me pick him up now like he did in the beginning. Thanks for whatever help I can get. A new pic will be coming shortly.

Last edited:
This is Oops in the background with the hen I bought at the same time. They were penned together when I bought them. She is small and lays bantam sized white eggs. Do you know what breed she is also?

[B]
[/B]

Back
Top Bottom