What breed and what should I do

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ironworker377, Jul 17, 2007.

1. ironworker377

ironworker377 New Egg

Jul 17, 2007
    This little guy showed up in my back yard yesterday and we tried to find it's owner. Their are dogs on every side and wondering if I need to trap him so he does not get hurt. We live in city limits and I think it is illegal to own livestock here. I called the our local animal control to see if they could do anything and they said just let it be. Who do you guys suggest I turn to before this little guy get hurt by the dogs nearby.
    [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Its a silver Sebright! Beautiful! Maybe you have a no-kill shelter nearby? Sometimes they make exceptions for a chicken or three, even if other livestock is forbidden. Boy, I'd keep that one!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  3. Menagerie

Menagerie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Looks like a Silver Sebright to me. Beautiful bird! Do you have a crate or something to keep it safe in? Looks like a hen. Maybe a local feed stoer would know who owns this breed or you could post a sign.

4. Menagerie

Menagerie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    P.S. While your at the feed store you could pick up some food for her. No one would need to know you have a new beautiful pet:)

5. greenacre

greenacre Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2007
    South Eastern Michigan
    You might want to mention what state, area, etc. you are in because there may be somebody out there that can provide her a new home!

6. ironworker377

ironworker377 New Egg

Jul 17, 2007
    Thanks for the fast response. We live in San Leandro, CA which is in the San Francisco bay area. If anyone nearby would like to have her just let me know. She is real friendly and comes right up to me every time I go outside. She has been on our patio deck for the last two days and has not gone far from it.

7. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    Geez, I wish I lived nearby you! She is gorgeous ! I would take her in a heartbeat. I have been looking for silver sebrights and have not had much luck finding any. Feed her and keep her!

Lisa

8. moorhaus

moorhaus New Egg

Jul 17, 2007
    I live in Oakland (really near by) and would love to take her! She is beautiful!

9. dnadream

dnadream New Egg

Feb 7, 2015
    im in Pleasanton and could come on Bart.

10. dnadream

dnadream New Egg

Feb 7, 2015
    im in Pleasantin and could comr on Bart if u still have her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by