What breed are my babies?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by texasfemale, Mar 18, 2015.

1. texasfemale

texasfemale Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2015
    [​IMG]
    I'm a new mom & I'm curious what I have. It really doesn't matter love them anyways.
    Thanks in advance

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Where'd you get them? They are going to turn out as Grey's and could be Runners, Mallards, or Rouen's. There are grey calls but these do not look a lot like them. When they feather out into their adult plumage you can ask again and you'll get more specific answers.

Welcome to BYC by the way [​IMG]

3. texasfemale

texasfemale Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2015
    Got them at tractor supply. I figured it was worth a shot to ask now. I picked these 2 out because of the crest on their heads, they were different & different is good lol. Thanks for the reply & the welcome.

4. Kaessa

Kaessa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO
    They definitely look like mallards or rouen to me, I think their legs are set too far forward to be runners. Do both of them have a crest?

Cute little fuzzbutts!

5. NikkiCole5

NikkiCole5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2015
    What about these? Lol
    They are golden 300 hybrid X giant Pekin. They look Swedish, but is that possible?

[​IMG]

Sorry for jumping in ;-)

6. Twistedfeather

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    I'm sure there's Swedish in the running of the breed. It's probably a recessive factor that came from the result of crossing the two ducks together. All it is, is a bibbed pattern one of the six main patterns for ducks. Yet I do see Golden 300's with the bibbed pattern and they are sex-linked.

7. NikkiCole5

Mar 4, 2015

They are sex linked? Can you tell me what I have then?

8. Twistedfeather

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    I don't know what the Pekin duck did to them but if they were just plain Golden 300's those would be drakes. There is less use for sex-linked ducks because at one week of age you can vent sex ducks and geese.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  9. NikkiCole5

Mar 4, 2015

I tried to vent sex and I can't tell, but I think I saw a penis on the one with yellow on it's face, the standing one, but it's only a guess, and I thought the other is female, again a guess lol

10. NikkiCole5

Mar 4, 2015

I just tried again since I tried when they were only a few days old and they are 9 days old now, but i still did not find a penis, oh well lol, I'll find out when it's older

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by