What breed are my Bantams?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WildHorseMountain, Jun 30, 2011.

1. WildHorseMountain

WildHorseMountain Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    E. Oklahoma
    Hello everyone! I have three bantams that I got from the Tractor Supply this spring. They got them from Privot Hatchery in new Mexico. The first one I know is a cochin, he looks like he's a mix of barred/ penciled. They are 81/2 weeks old in these pics.
    [​IMG]
    This is one is really sweet, she was the only one that looked red like this and was in the tub with the other cochins. She's dark reddish brown now.
    [​IMG]
    This is my one and only Roo, he was suppose to be a she lol. I have no idea what it is but it's really small and his crows are soft and not loud. He was in a tub with black and white bantams, he was the only solid black one.
    [​IMG]
    So please let me know what you think they are! Thank you, Kim

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  2. Bookspryte

Bookspryte Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    I'm gonna go out on the limb and say that I think the cochin is a pullet. I don't see much in the way of comb or wattles. I have bantams younger than yours and the males all have prominent, red comb and wattles.

I'm stumped on the other two. Sorry.

BTW, [​IMG]

Denise

3. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    The Cochin looks like a pullet. The red one looks like it might be a Rhode Island red. And the last looks like a Japanese.

4. WildHorseMountain

Jun 21, 2011
    E. Oklahoma
    Thank you so much for the reply and the welcome! Yes, they are all pullets except for the black one, he crows every morning and evening now. Just wanted to know what breed they could be? I think the black one is a Serama, and the red one may be a Buckeye bantam and the cochin is a barred maybe?

5. WildHorseMountain

Jun 21, 2011
    E. Oklahoma
    akcountrygrrl, I was also thinking RIR and Japanese too, they are all so little and sweet [​IMG]

6. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I'm going with this vote also. The RIR bantams are very nice looking when they mature... I just sold off my flock of them.

7. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Black one is a Serama. the legs are way too long to be a Japanese.
    Japanese are suppose to look like their sitting even though they are standing..

Here are my Japanese.. notice short legs, but they are standing!

[​IMG]

8. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Not all Japanese have short legs, particularly hatchery birds. Plus, Privett doesn't carry Seramas.

9. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Your cochin looks like a silver penciled just not real good penciling her is a pic of my silver penciled girl
    [​IMG]

10. WA4-Hpoultrymom

WA4-Hpoultrymom Never enough coops...

Feb 5, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    My Coop
    I'm going to go against the grain and say that your bird in photo #1 is a dark brahma, not a cochin. [​IMG]
    What kind of comb does it have?

#2 Rhode Island Red bantam

#3 Black Old English Game Bantam

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by