What breed are my chickadees

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kfc chickadees, Oct 11, 2014.

1. kfc chickadees

kfc chickadees Just Hatched

Jul 31, 2014
    Gold Coast, Queensland
    [​IMG]
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6595304/width/200/height/400[/IMG
    [IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6595305/width/200/height/400]

Can someone please tell me what breed my chicks are (and sex too if pos). They are round about 15-16 weeks and I got them through day care from eggs

2. sumatrass

sumatrass Chillin' With My Peeps

buff orpington x rhode island red maybe @[email protected] all females im guesstimating [​IMG]

3. kfc chickadees

Jul 31, 2014
    Gold Coast, Queensland
    Cool. I thought I had girls. But g8 to have confirmation?? I'll look into those breeds. Thx. Any idea of when they might start thinking of laying

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    They are all Red Sex Link pullets. Red Sex Links are hybrids produced by crossing a red gene rooster (RIR, NHR, or Production Red) with a silver gene hen (WR, RIW, SLW, Delaware, Lt. Sussex, etc.). The resulting offspring can be sexed by color at hatching (male chicks are whitish, female chicks are reddish), and this color distinction remains with them as they mature (cockerels are white with some reddish feathers in the saddle, pullets are reddish with white underfluff and some white feathers in their tails like yours). Red Sex Links are marketed by hatcheries under a lot of different labels including Red Star, Gold Star, Gold Sex Link, Brown Sex Link, Cinnamon Queen, Bovans Brown, Golden Buff, Golden Comet, Hubbard Golden Comet, Isa Brown, Shaver Brown, Babcock Brown, Warrens, HyLines, Gold Lines, Lohmans, Lohmans Brown, Bovans Goldline, etc., but no matter which label they are marketed under, Red Sex Links are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    P.S. My Red Sex Link pullets have typically begun laying from 20-24 weeks, sometimes a little earlier and on rare occasions a little later.

1 person likes this.
  6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I think Michael is right about you having RSL's...they look like the ones we have in our mixed flock. Ours began laying at 21 weeks and they already give us some very nice large, darker-brown eggs almost every day. They are friendly, inquisitive girls. There is one in particular, if she feels like she isn't getting the attention she deserves, will peck to remind me she is ready to be picked up. They do eat like horses but maybe not much more than any other large egg-layer.

Hope you are enjoying them!

7. kfc chickadees

Jul 31, 2014
    Gold Coast, Queensland
    Thank you Michael and northflchick for ur detailed information. It certainly sounds like them lol. Yes my daughter has her favourite and it gets dance instructions and all. 'The hockey pokey' lol. I would have thought the chicken dance, but no!!

1 person likes this.
  8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Agree those are classic red sex link pullets. They're great backyard birds as they're fairly docile and lay tons of eggs.

9. nayeli

nayeli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    I would say Cinnamon Queens but I think you have a King in there... Although I might be wrong. The one pictured in front of the chicken coop pecking at the ground seems to have a bigger comb than I'd expect to see in a pullet, as well as having "waddles".

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    All of them are Red Sex-link pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by