What breed are my chicks? Maybe Buff Orpington?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lillyrosesmum, Apr 18, 2016.

1. lillyrosesmum

lillyrosesmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2016
    East Texas
    My hubby surprised me with these little ladies. I'm so excited! What breed do you think they might be? Maybe a Buff Orpington in there? What do you think?
    To early to tell?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sophia31d8921

sophia31d8921 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2016
    I think you have Buff Orpingtons and Barred Rock

1 person likes this.
  3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    The black one is a Black Australorp, one of the red ones looks like it maybe a Red sex-link, the other two maybe Buff Orpingtons but I don't think so.

4. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    X2

5. lillyrosesmum

Feb 13, 2016
    East Texas
    It's hard to see in the pictures but one of the yellow chicks has very light reddish chipmunk markings. The other two have a uniform tan color. Does that make a difference?

6. MonicainAZ

MonicainAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    IDK, it also looks like the two solid colored ones are getting new feathers that are about the same solid color, so I think there's a decent chance they are buff orpingtons. Production reds usually get their first feathers with a pattern on them and sex links usually white, so my guess would be buffs on those two.
    [​IMG]

Edit: I do agree with the others being a red sex link and an Australorp. A barred rock would have a white spot on its head.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  7. lillyrosesmum

Feb 13, 2016
    East Texas

Yes the two tan ones have feathers that are the same solid color coming in. There isn't a spot on the black ones head. the one with chipmunk markings has tan and white stripes on her feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by