1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed are my chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by codeman, Mar 28, 2008.

1. codeman

codeman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2008
    I have 3 day old chicks and was hoping someone could help me with the breed. I purchased the eggs off of ebay and ordered an assorted pack. One is yellow, another all black and another black with white. I have attached pictures..hopefully you can see the pictures as this is my first time posting pictures.

Thank you

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    A little early to be sure. Once those black chicks start to get some wing feathers discerning breed will be easier. So at two weeks or so would be a better time for a more certain evaluation.

I am moving this to the breed section where it will get more specific attention.

3. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I am going to say the black chicks are black amerecaunas (sp) and the red one is a RIR.

4. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I think the black chick is a cuckoo maran. It has yellow legs, on one, kind hard to see.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  5. codeman

codeman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2008
    I just found out that the person I bought the eggs from has a flock of the following....Rhode Island Reds, Black sex links, Buff Orpingtons, White Leghorns, Araucana Americana’s.....here are the color eggs my chicks came out of and what I think they could be now knowing his flock.....

Yellow/reddish chick- a cream/white egg...RIR???

Black and white chick- a greenish blue (easter) egg- Araucana Americana???

All black chick- a brown egg- could it be a black sex link???
    Please advise.

Thank you all again!

6. chickenfeed

chickenfeed Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2007
    North Central Iowa
    The yellow chick is probably a leghorn if it came from a white egg. Rhode Island Red's lay brown eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by