1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed are my ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sheenanaginz, Aug 25, 2014.

1. sheenanaginz

sheenanaginz New Egg

Aug 11, 2014
    I am a first time duck owner and purchased three "pekins" from the feed store several months ago. These "pekins" are growing up and do not quack and they have a bubbly red beak instead of a bright orange one. They are all white with blue eyes, sharp claws, and the boys are starting to get red around their eyes. Do they look like muscovies to you? I was not sure if maybe they are pure muscovies or maybe a mix. Obviously, I was a little upset since I specifically asked for pekins and had done alot of research about them. But they have grown on me and now I just want to know their breed! Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I think those are Muscovies.

3. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Yyyyup, mos' def Muscovies. I'm kinda surprised they were marketed as Pekins, even as ducklings the differences are pretty stark! :p

4. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    I prefer my Muscovies to Pekins. Pekins are so loud!

5. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013

BWA HA HA, Pekins are loud? That's...that's cute. [​IMG] #AtLeastIDon'tNeedAnAlarmClock

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Muscovy and look like females too. That is too bad, nothing wrong with scovies(i own a ton of them) but if your after Pekin? completely different bird, Muscovy are not even mallard derived and they fly!

I have pekin they are loud, don't fly and pretty comical in their own right, Muscovy are better foragers though, even documented for their fly catching ability.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by