1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed are my hens ??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickenman786, Dec 6, 2013.

1. chickenman786

chickenman786 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2013
    Can someone tell me what breed these two are ?[​IMG]

2. Cheyen

Cheyen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    They look like red stars/golden comets to me! They're great production birds, and should give you a large brown egg every day. [​IMG]

3. chickenman786

Sep 10, 2013

Cheers ! The bottom one lays really dark brown (small) eggs but the top one lays huge ones lol . I thought the on at the top might be a mixed breed

4. chickenman786

Sep 10, 2013
    Also does anyone know of these two would be good to keep in the winter ? Or is it too cold for them

5. shannondee12

shannondee12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    Someone who knows a little more than me might correct me but I think that red stars/golden comets are mixed breeds. Each hatchery calls them something different but it is a combo of breeds crossed to up production.

6. Cheyen

Cheyen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    Red stars, golden comets, golden sex links, or whatever you want to call them are mixed breeds. They're sex linked and produce often, which is why egg selling companies like to use them. [​IMG]

They have a lot more personality than people give them credit for. I think they're very friendly compared to most other breeds.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Red sex link hens, as said they're very dependable layers. They come from stock that handles the cold well as a rule, and mine have always done well in the cold. Temp last night as my house was single digits and it's not looking to get above freezing all weekend [​IMG]

8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by