1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed are my new Hens & Rooster

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ReyM, Jan 26, 2010.

1. ReyM

ReyM Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2009
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Also is there any way to tell what age the chickens might be. We were told to Roo was 1 1/2 yr and the Hens were in their second season of laying. Not sure what that means. When we purchased the flock we got what we think are Black Copper Marans and we're not sure on the silver. We've had them for two weeks with no egg production. Is that normal or does anyone have any suggestions. We're feeding them Dumor 16% protein as well as scrath as directed in forums. Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    You got BCMs and the 2nd pic is a mutt.

3. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    Those are black cooper marans. the silver could be an egyptian fayoumi, silver campine, silver penciled rock, a cross, who knows?

4. newchickens2009

newchickens2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    The Reason For Them Not Laying Yet Could Be Because Of The Relocation. Sometimes The Shock Of Traveling, The New Home And Even A Diet Change Can Cause Them To Stop Until They Get Comfortable Again. Give Them Some Time, They Will Soon Start To Lay Some Beautiful Eggs For You.

5. ReyM

ReyM Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2009
    Thanks for the info. Learning this chicken stuff is interesting. Hope to get an incubator soon and have some chicks this spring. I love "The Mutt". Who knows what it is so my husband says it will go with the egg layers or in the pot [​IMG]

6. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Wow thats awsome, you got BCM! I have a few myself and they are a really friendly, fun, and farm-looking chicken. [​IMG] They will lay REALLY dark eggs if they where bred right.
    The other one im not so sure..

7. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Just looking at FeatherSite.com the silver one look like it has about the same color as the Silver Penciled Wyandottes But it looks like she has a straight comb?!? I really can't say what they are because it is just a guess. [​IMG]

8. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm PA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    Quote:A friend gave us a small flock of banties and a trio of production Buff orpingtons. they layed for a few days, then the cold snap came. Have gotten no eggs since New Years. With the days getting longer and the birds seem happy to be here, should start getting some eggs any day. Just be patient and loving. That, or take a frying pan out and hang it on their wall. A friend always had good layers. He placed a photo of a KFC meal on the wall of the hen house. Always got eggs!

9. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:Second that. And looks like a silver penciled rock in there too. Somebody likes to say mutt every time they don't know what it is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by