What breed are my new hens??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Beckyhsinglsc, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Beckyhsinglsc

Beckyhsinglsc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    My Coop
    These are actually my sister's. She just got them from someone who was moving and couldn't take them with him.
    I think I see a Black star, a cochin and a ?. He got them from a feed store. They are 9 months old.
    Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Top pic looks like a black sex link and possibly a red sex link. Lucky you!!!! 3 hens at point of lay!! They are very nice ladies. [​IMG]

3. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Top pic looks like a black sex link and possibly a red sex link and the last pic a Black cochin

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  4. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    that isn't a red sex link, the tail is black, showing come columbian gene. I would gues it is a hatchery New Hampshire Red.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Depending on the cross you could have a Red Sex-link with a Black tail.
    Example a Rhode Island Red x Columbian Plymouth Rock would give you a "Black Tailed" Red Sex-link also most Red Sex-link carry the Columbian Gene do to the Rhode Island Red used in most crosses.

But with that said I do not think that the Wheaten bird is a Red Sex-Link.

Chris

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  6. Beckyhsinglsc

Beckyhsinglsc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    My Coop
    Quote:I looked at the description of New Hampshire Red on Meyer hatchery and they look exactly like the "buff" color one.

Yes, very lucky. We got a barred rock too but I knew that one. :)

So it looks like a black sex link (black star), a black cochin and a New Hampshire Red!

Thanks!!

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I looked at the description of New Hampshire Red on Meyer hatchery and they look exactly like the "buff" color one.

Yes, very lucky. We got a barred rock too but I knew that one. :)

So it looks like a black sex link (black star), a black cochin and a New Hampshire Red!

Thanks!!

I will guarantee you that you do not have a New Hampshire.
    Your bird has Blue leg, New Hampshire's have Yellow. The Plumage color is way off also, a New Hampshire should look like a Light colored Rhode Island Red in color.
    Here are come New Hampshire https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5123187#p5123187

Chris

8. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Quote:Actually, RSL bred from Delawares can have black tails, as Delawares have Columbian genetics in their background

9. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I think the buff one looks like a cross for sure. I think they are all crosses (well, obviously a sex link is, but I'm not sure she's a hatchery sex link. Might be a home bred cross.) They all have awfully white earlobes for the breeds they most closely resemble. [​IMG]

10. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    The only one I can ID is the black cochin [​IMG] The other two I have no clue. Very nice looking girls, looks like they were well cared for.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by