What breed are my peanuts

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bayerchicks, Dec 28, 2010.

1. bayerchicks

bayerchicks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2010
    Tangipahoa Parish
    These guys were sent as packing peanuts from IDEAL. I am assuming they are all males since they were free. They were hatched 12/1 so they are 4 weeks old today. They are black and white and fearless! They even went after my older RIR hen who is huge!

The first guy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another bird

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Out of all 9 of them, 2 have smaller combs so we are hoping they are hens.

2. bayerchicks

Nov 12, 2010
    Tangipahoa Parish
    Sorry how blurry the pics look. My flip cam doesn't do that great with close ups.

3. F50myster

F50myster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    Central Coast
    wait what??? you got free chicks from Ideal??? why? lol and what do you mean they were sent as packing peanuts?

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Hatcheries like Ideal and McMurray send a free chick or more as "packing peanuts." They're extra males to keep for warmth.

The first one looks to be a Java or Ancona. The second is a Black Australorp.

5. F50myster

F50myster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    Central Coast
    oh thats right sorry i didnt get what you meant and about the breeds i have no idea im new to this. can you please tell me how to post a question on the forum?

6. bayerchicks

Nov 12, 2010
    Tangipahoa Parish
    I thought they were all the same. They all appear to be black and white an mean all over. I really didn't think they would be different breeds.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Black with white on the head in an excess amount like that means the bird is mottled. Black with white only on the sides or underneath of the head, neck, belly is a simply black colored chicken.

Who knows, maybe they are indeed both simply black chickens (more than likely Australorps) - The first one just has a lot of white, which is a mottled coloring trait.

But, they have black on their legs, which points away from either a Java or Ancona. . . .

8. bayerchicks

Nov 12, 2010
    Tangipahoa Parish
    forgot to say, one of the chicks has an all black comb, weird.

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    That's just excess black pigment. Happens a lot with black or really dark blue birds. It will go away when the comb gets bigger.

10. RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather

RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Maui
    Aloha,

I also want to say Java or even other types of black breeds. But if you do have girls pop up out of your "peanuts" then hey they gave you extra presents in the box! keep us posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by