What breed are these 4-5 wk chicks - wyandottes, black sex links???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ArizonaDesertChicks, Jan 16, 2009.

1. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    We just bought six chicks from the feed store (all supposed to be pullets). They were in a cramped wire brooding cage and I felt sorry for them - about 12 large chicks in too small of a space.

Two of the chicks are California whites. The other two are a mystery to me. Two of them were supposed to be gold / golden wyandottes, the other two were supposed to be blue wyandottes. After bringing them home and getting a closer look at them, its obvious they are something else, but what..? Wyandottes have yellow legs and these chicks have dark legs.
    I called the feed store and they have no idea. Could they be black sex-links? It's hard to see in the pictures - the chicks didn't want to stand for the pics - but they have long necks, especially the one in pic #4,5.

Also, two of these look like roosters to me - if they are, I need to hurry back and exchange them. If they are sex-links, wouldn't the boys look more like a barred rock?

Two of the mystery chicks (supposed to be glw) look pretty identical and the other two bw also look the same, so the following 5 photos are of only 2 chicks.

Chicken #1 - side view of body and comb
    [​IMG]

Chicken #1 - front view of comb
    [​IMG]

Chicken #1 - notice the brown feathering on chest
    [​IMG]

Chicken #2 (suspect roo) - side view
    [​IMG]

Chicken #2 - front view
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  2. Gallus_domesticus

Gallus_domesticus Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2008
    Arizona
    Let me guess...these are from the Stock Shop, right? I got one of each of these colors from there and was equally perplexed. Mine were older than yours, but look like the same mix.

The blue one ended up with crookneck a day after I got it, so keep your eye out.

3. carousel

carousel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    NW Oregon
    Black Sexlinks! all girls

4. Gallus_domesticus

Gallus_domesticus Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2008
    Arizona
  5. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    EE's or some sort of cross with them?

6. ArizonaDesertChicks

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Quote:Yes, they are from the Stock Shop. My first 11 chicks from the Stock Shop are true to what they were advertised as (other than the araucanas being easter eggers [​IMG] ). I am surprised that they couldn't give me any other options as to what these chicks could be thought -- did you call them back also?

I clicked on your thread link and your chick is very pretty - mine are quite ugly right now, but I'm hoping for a transformation. They almost look like turkeys to me and their feathers are so oily looking. Your chick does have yellow legs, so they may not be the exact same breed.

7. ArizonaDesertChicks

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Oops - here's a few things I forgot to mention that might help:

The reasons I think chick#2 (and its twin) in pics 4 & 5 are roos (not detectable in the photos):

They stand taller,
    they are chirruping (a sound none of my older pullets ever made), they are more aggressive towards the other chicks,
    their combs are slightly larger and are a light pink (the other two chicks' combs are still yellow).
    their tails & backs are less developed (featherwise)

It would be great if they are pullets, but is this possible with the above signs?

Another thing I forgot to mention in my post is that they do have a single comb - not a pea comb.

8. ArizonaDesertChicks

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Quote:Is it possible that the black ones are sexlinks and the others are something else? Besides the brown feathering on the neck and wings, she also has brown feathering on her body/rump (behind her wings in photo #4). Are they definitely all sex links?

One of the black ones is making a chirruping sound also, so I guess that wasn't a sign of maleness after all in these chicks.
    This is the link where I found the information I used to try to sex the chicks:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=48329 The chirruping was listed as a male trait, but my daughters just informed me that one of our barnevelder pullets had made that same sound when they were little. The brown ones had just seemed so male to me, but maybe its just the breed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by