What breed are these 6 month old Mottled chickens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ralph Moyer, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Ralph Moyer

Ralph Moyer Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]These came from a Texas hatchery in a mixed pullet order. Two are roosters, 8 are hens. There are none like these in the hatchery's catalog . They are nine months old now and laying light tan colored eggs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    anacona

3. Ralph Moyer

[​IMG]I took some more photos of these mottled chickens this morning. They don't have white earlobes and their eggs are tan not white. Their feathers are black and white. Not black with a "v" white tip and they do not have a leghorn body-style. More like a broiler. also the hens have a short comb. My neighbor thought they were Mottled Java but the Hatchery says they don't sell any Javas. They also don't sell Anaconas either.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Ancona mix? Looks like the rooster might be that. Hens with the gray legs looks like something else. Body style and the combs of the hens look like something un-Ancona, though. Coloration looks just like Ancona, though.

5. Ralph Moyer

Ancona have white earlobes and their white marking is a white "V" shape on the end of black feathers. These have white feathers mixed with the black feathers. The other rooster is only partially shown but you can see the slate color on his leg. The bottom of their feet is yellow.

6. elsfieldchickens

elsfieldchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

speckeld sussex

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Kind of but to me they look black and not brown.

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    In the latter set of pictures they look reddish brown, so that would probably mean speckled sussex which lay tan eggs.

9. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Mottled Javas are the closest thing they look like.

Is it just me, or does the hen in the front of the last pic(of post #3) have some brown in her? Mottling is recessive, so both parents have to carry the gene for it to show in the chicks. Does the hatchery you got them from have speckled sussex and/or mottled ancona? It's possible they are a cross.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  10. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    in the last pic they look brownish redish meaning sussex instead first pics they look black and white

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by