What breed are these banties?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by duckncover, Dec 5, 2009.

1. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    They ARE bantam's right? I'm not sure they are even hens. Three of them have a red comb and one has a pinkish one. The one DOES cluck rather loud compared to the others.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I can't seem to leave them outside...I feel like crap leaving them outside in the cold. I mean their droppings are only slightly bigger than my amazon parrot's...

I'm just scared that they may be cold. They don't huddle but their feet are a little cold. It snowed today and I'm concerned.

ETA: No one told me that they could fly straight up, lol. [​IMG] I spent like 45 minutes coaxing the one with the black on it's head out of the top of my red maple tree. It all worked out though. She practically knocked me over when she seen that slice of bread. [​IMG] I clipped them all now. WHY ONLY ONE WING?!? I clip several cockatiels and my Amazon and they need both...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Not sure what they are, but they are cute.

Look to be all hens.

You clip one to throw them off balance. They can't fly as well as a parrot anyways and being off balance when trying to fly will discourage them. With both clipped they will keep trying and with just primaries clipped they can still get pretty high, especially the smaller ones.

Matt

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    They are hens and they look like mixes.

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I Have a picture of my Black tailed buff japanese bantam roo & 1 of his hens on My Page. My hens look just like your pics.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2009
  5. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I was thinking they looked like Japanese mixes as well or maybe serama or nankin? Anyway, they are very nice looking birds. I think they are hens as well.

6. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    I figured they were mixes. I'm so relieved that I have all hens. They say every animal big and small has a different personality and it really shows in these hens. Lacey (black head) is calm and quiet but the smaller loud one with the black tail will flap around if picked up and will freak out if it's the only one out. The other chillaxed one is the one with the short comb and the last one is bigger and a bit scared an flighty.

I want to name them all now but I agreed with my girlfriend that she get's to "own" one and name it. My one friend "owns" Lacey. By own I mean when they come here they say it's theirs and go tell all their friends they have a pet chicken. I'm really surprised what a hit they are with my friends, they love them.

7. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    definitely swirls of some form, not right type for japs, seramas, or none of that. Look closer to bantam Brahmas, but arent of course

Nice girls, just mixed I believe

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    In the neighborhood to the south of us, they have some feral chickens that look just like those... they are blue wheaten or blue wheaten/wheaten mixes..

9. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    birdaholic if I had 99 birds I'd go crazy. It's not even that there's that many it's that I'm little OCD and can't numbers that don't end in a 5 or 0.

If I had that many I don't know what I'd do: I can't leave the 4 I have now outside for more than a few hours...Lacey has been on a standing parrot perch eating food and drinking out of shiny parrot cups. I don't even thinks she's eating, I think she just likes the shiny metal
    I might as well just go buy her a bowl with her name on it and make her up a little doggy pillow at the foot of my bed. I really don't think they'll be outside chickens for long. If I new she'd get used to it I'd get her a little ribbon to put around her neck.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  10. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    They all are hens.

One looks like a Buff Brahma Mix.

The others are buff Old English Game Bantams

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by