What breed are these Black Chickens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Cluck-a-Doodle-Doo, May 23, 2010.

1. Cluck-a-Doodle-Doo

Cluck-a-Doodle-Doo In the Brooder

Dec 5, 2009
    Botetourt Co, VA
    Good Morning folks.

We hatched a couple dozen eggs for a friend and do not know exactly what breed we have here, or rather, what breed the black chickens are in the pics. They don't know for sure either [​IMG]. We would just like to know what breed the black ones are. The pics here are the only ones I have, not the best but I hope we can get some use out of them.

I can tell you that the eggs were about Silkie size eggs and cream to extremely light brown in color. All the chicks are solid jet black and have dark legs. Half have feathered shanks and single combs so i figure they are mixed between the blacks and the D'Uccles. The other half have clean legs and what looks to be a rose or possible a pea comb. Probably rose though. Best I can tell from zooming in on the pics the black Rooster has a rose comb. I have never seen them in person.

In the pic with the Brahma the black chickens look to be a bit larger than bantam but their eggs are very much bantam size. We also hatched a couple of the Brahma's eggs and they are solid black with feathered shanks too... they should be some good lookin' mutts later on. We love our mutts around here!

Anyway, any and all help will be appreciated. If you have or have had chickens that look like these black ones here we would love to know what breed you think they are. Thanks everyone, have a great day!

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    The hens could be Black Sex-links. Do they also have rose combs? If so, then all of them are some kind of mix.

3. Cluck-a-Doodle-Doo

Cluck-a-Doodle-Doo In the Brooder

Dec 5, 2009
    Botetourt Co, VA
    Quote:I hear ya. I said they were just BSL's to begin with because that's exactly what the hens look like and they said "No... They are bantams." But BSL bantams are definitely possible. Then I noticed the comb, the hens and rooster all have rose combs I am told. Because I don't recognize them, Mutt was my personal second guess too. But, I thought there might be a chance they were some breed i haven't seen before because the hens and rooster look similar, they look like they belong together... the rooster is definitely not the common BR-hybrid BSL rooster. And on top of all of that, we have NEVER had consistency like that in mixed breeds over here on our hill. I suppose we'll just go with mutt unless someone else thinks differently. Have a good one.

4. DTchickens

DTchickens Crowing

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Yep looks like mutts, cock appears to have some game blood in him. But that's about as much as I can say.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: