1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Breed Are These Black Chicks?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lux_interior, May 16, 2009.

1. lux_interior

lux_interior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Joliet
    I got two new chicks today, I'm calling them 'mystery chicks' as I don't know their breed or sex. They are only a day old so I'm not sure how easy it will be to tell, and I will post more pictures as they get older. I don't know much about black chicken breeds, and I don't think they are barred rocks... black giants maybe? Any opinions and help appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pictures aren't the greatest, we had a hard time getting them to sit still... but they are black with white on their bellies, butts, tips of their wings, and right above their feet. They also have a few random white hairs spread out on the back of their heads.

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Where did you get them? From a private seller or a farm store?

3. lux_interior

lux_interior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Joliet
    They were bought from a feed store off Harlem in chicago. The man who owns it gets his birds from the eggs they hatch at the museum of science and industry. He has raised birds his whole life and usually knows the breeds, but he wasnt sure about these.

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    They look like Black Sex-links, but really all the black chicks look so much alike at that age.

5. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    I think they look very much like my black australorps but mine are hatchery chicks.

Last edited: May 16, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by