What breed are these chickens?

Jengo Chick

In the Brooder
Nov 3, 2021
Hi! This is our first time raising chickens. I got these randomly as a backyard mix of chicks when they were a few days old. We have 4. Any idea what breeds we have? Posting pictures of each of them and also a pic of them together for sizing detail. They are 9 weeks old. I know we have at least 1 rooster. Not sure about the rest.

1. white and tan with light green feet. This one is smaller than the rest.
2. Mostly black with a little bit of gray, black and white feet
3. Black with brown feathers coming in and dark green tail, black and white feet
4. White with orange feet, I'm pretty sure this is a Leghorn Rooster.
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Hi! This is our first time raising chickens. I got these randomly as a backyard mix of chicks when they were a few days old. We have 4. Any idea what breeds we have? Posting pictures of each of them and also a pic of them together for sizing detail. They are 9 weeks old. I know we have at least 1 rooster. Not sure about the rest.

1. white and tan with light green feet. This one is smaller than the rest.
2. Mostly black with a little bit of gray, black and white feet
3. Black with brown feathers coming in and dark green tail, black and white feet
4. White with orange feet, I'm pretty sure this is a Leghorn Rooster.
View attachment 2886866
That's an Easter egger pullet I think.
I think that's a black Australorp. Pullet.
Easter egger cockerel
I think it's a white leghorn. Cockerel.

And welcome to BYC Jengo Chick!:welcome

2 pullets are not enough for your males. Can you keep roosters where you live?

Welcome to BYC! ❤️
I was afraid we may have 2 cockerels. The leghorn is already crowing. The black one is just a bully to the rest but they all seem to get along pretty well right now. We live out in the country so roosters are not a problem here. What happens if you have 2 roosters? How many hens do I need to keep them both? I just love them....They both have great personalities.

I was afraid we may have 2 cockerels. The leghorn is already crowing. The black one is just a bully to the rest but they all seem to get along pretty well right now. We live out in the country so roosters are not a problem here. What happens if you have 2 roosters? How many hens do I need to keep them both? I just love them....They both have great personalities.
They will definitely overmate the girls.

The girls will have missing patches of feathers after a while. Once hormones start kicking in, the poor pullets will be AWFUL.

I definitely recommend rehoming or getting more pullets. I have a flock of 20+ hens and one rooster. He overmated last year.

The girls will have missing patches of feathers after a while. Once hormones start kicking in, the poor pullets will be AWFUL.

I definitely recommend rehoming or getting more pullets. I have a flock of 20+ hens and one rooster. He overmated last year.
Okay, let me explain it better.

Chickens molt once a year. They can have a juvenile molt and then they have their first real molt after they are 1 year old. Between their juvenile molt and first molt, if they have any broken feathers, they stay broken for the entire year until they get them back. Broken feathers do not repair until a molt.

Typically, a rooster needs 10-12 hens, but it varies from rooster to rooster. For mine, he needs 20.

Ok, maybe we will get more girls if I can't decide which one to keep....Assuming the predators around here don't get one of them before I have to decide. We have plenty of space for more.

Back
Top Bottom