what breed are these chicks please?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ozark hen, Jun 28, 2008.

1. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I just got ten of these lovely chicks from Cackle Hatchery this morning. I looked at so many that I can't remember what the lady said they were. I do know they will be a striking black and white. I also ordered some German Spitzhauben's to pick up at a later date. I don't know if these were Lakenvelders? Can someone help me here? Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They are already getting their wing feathers and so I am also wondering if they are bantams? They are so small. Thanks for any help.

2. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    what did you order?

3. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Those are definitly not Appenzeller Spitzhauben. Probably are Lakenvelders.

Although if they labeled the Spitz as "german spitz" I wouldn't count on anything decend anyways, since there is no such thing.

4. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like Silver Spangled Hamburgs to me, they have rose combs. Lakenvelders are black and white and have single combs. [​IMG]

5. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I just got ten of these lovely chicks from Cackle Hatchery this morning. I looked at so many that I can't remember what the lady said they were. I do know they will be a striking black and white. I also ordered some German Spitzhauben's to pick up at a later date. I don't know if these were Lakenvelders? Can someone help me here? Thanks
    Above is what I orginally said. [​IMG] I went into the hatchery to see what they had, I did not "order" anything until I got in there and then I ordered the spitz which will hatch July 7th and I pick them up July 8th.
    It is the ten in the photo I am wondering about as I don't recall what she told me since we discussed so many and I looked at so many. They had no Hamburgs at the time as that name never came up. That is great info on the combs, thanks.

6. 10chicks

10chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    They look like silver sebrights to me. The will be a nice black and white if they are and they are very gentle.

7. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    They don't have the proper beak and leg colour to be silver sebs, so I agree with Ella that they look like Hamburgs.

8. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Hope you all are right on the hamburgs as they are a lovely bird. I guess I will know more when they feather out and get their combs. Thanks all, you are great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by