1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

What breed are these chicks? Silkies?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hennypenny99, Mar 18, 2012.

1. hennypenny99

hennypenny99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Hugo, Ok
    I love silkies and my mom bought me two chicks at her farm store yesterday. She called me to tell me that she bought me 2 Silkie chicks. I was so excited because they are hard to find around here. Anyways I picked them up today and I am not so sure they are silkies? They have top knots, they have 5 toes and feathered feet but what I don't understand is the color of their skin. They have yellow beaks and their feet are maybe slightly blue tinted but not very dark at all and one of them had almost pinkish feet. What else could they be though? I know some other breeds have 5 toes but I am not sure which ones.

Now the grey one in the pic I know is a silkie. The small yellow one has 4 toes and feathered feet. I'm pretty sure it might be a blue cochin? It's the 2 taller yellow ones that my mom got me that have the 5 toes but the beaks are yellow? What do yall think?

It's been a year since I had baby silkies so maybe the white ones don't have feet as dark as the dark colored chicks and I just don't remember but I thought all silkies had blue/black beaks, skin & feet.

The store bought from Ideal Poultry so I would think they weren't mixed?

Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Far Left blue cochin? 2 middle ones - silkies??? Grey chick I am 100% sure is silkie.
    [​IMG]

2. Mom2Munchkins

Mom2Munchkins Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Upstate NY
    I have one that looks like that and it turns out, it is a Sultan. :)

3. Mom2Munchkins

Mar 2, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Oh, and mine was also from Ideal. :)

4. hennypenny99

Apr 15, 2011
    Hugo, Ok
    Really? I was wondering about the sultans? I am going to go look them up now. That would be really neat. I won't be disappointed if they turn out to be Sultans. :) Thanks!

5. Mom2Munchkins

Mar 2, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Yeah, I had never had one either. I only got one and it came in an Ideal assortment. Has some pretty huge feet. Do yours have huge feet?

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    black legs, black skin, 5 toes...silkies and you have 2 of them :) using 2nd pic left to right: the 2nd on and the 4th one are silkies the gray looks black in that lighting is there any way to get them in normal lighting for some pics? the one that you think is a cochin looks like it has a beard i'm gonna go with possable d'uccle...the other one with a top hat i cant be to sure on

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The "blue" does not look blue to me. The "grey" one is ether blue or black. Sultans are the most likely for the light skinned five toed birds, but watch their wings as they feather out--they could be silkies that simply don't have dark skin. It is pretty common for hatchery birds to be lacking in some of the breed traits, especially with silkies.

Cute babies; have fun whatever they are.

8. hennypenny99

Apr 15, 2011
    Hugo, Ok
    The little one I was calling blue on the far left is so small. I am totally guessing on what he/she is. It's a light creamy yellow but at the base of it's legs the feathers close to the skin look like they have a blue-ish grey-ish tint to them and also around his wings have that color. They grey one I feel pretty sure is a silkie does have nearly black feet and it's very dark grey in color so maybe it's not a blue. This is their temporary home in a storage tote. I am going to fix them up a bigger better brooder this afternoon and put some shavings down for them. I will take some more pics. They are adorable though, whatever they turn out to be. I was telling my mom how I couldn't find any silkies and she suprised me with the two tall yellow chicks. I am hoping the dark grey one turns out to be as pretty as the black silkie I have that I bought last year. Here she was going through her ugly stage. LOL and the last pic is of her now. :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by