What breed are these chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JuliaWesterbeek, Oct 17, 2016.

1. JuliaWesterbeek

JuliaWesterbeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2016
    Singapore
    Hi, I bought these chicks from a local guy when they were just 2 days old. When I asked the breed he said they were just regular farm chickens but I don't think that is a breed... They are only 3 weeks and 5 days old now, so
    I am not sure if you can tell the breed yet.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. JuliaWesterbeek

JuliaWesterbeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2016
    Singapore
    They might be white Leghorn chickens or Cornish chickens!

3. mbphotos09

mbphotos09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2015
    Watching Chicken TV...
    I'm thinking White Leghorn. ;)

1 person likes this.
  4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    There are a few possibilities based on their leg color, comb type and plumage color -- as they mature their overall body type, ear lob color at maturity and, if they are hens, egg color - and other factors will help in making a final identification between the possible breeds.

1 person likes this.
  5. goalaimethic

goalaimethic Just Hatched

Aug 19, 2016
    A regular farm chicken could literally mean any breed, even haphazardly made crossbreeds, but the breeds usually found on a typical farms are leghorns, Rhode Island reds, or a sex-linked cross such as red or black star, or red or golden comets.
    Yours look like they are almost definitely leghorns, which, as are the other typical farm breeds, were selectively bred to have fast growth rates and excellent laying rates of an egg every almost every single day. Many people who don't live on farms keep small flocks consisting of these breeds as foraging backyard pets that regularly lay fresh organic eggs for years!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    A lot of farm chickens are what is called "barnyard mixes," maybe from several generations of mix to mix breeding. If they are really good layers - they are worth keeping.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by