1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

What breed are these chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BreenaAndTony, Apr 22, 2018.

1. BreenaAndTony

BreenaAndTony In the Brooder

Nov 1, 2016
    I got these beautiful chicks from TS a few days ago. They were marked as "assorted chicks". When I asked the person tending to them what they were, she said it was their last batch for chick days and they came without a breed specification on the box. I couldn't help myself so I bought 4 of them :love. She sold them to me at straight run price because she couldn't identify them. I'd really love to know what they are. I've done my research and I think I have an idea but would love to hear what others think. I have nothing in my back yard flock that looked like this as chicks so I'm super excited :celebrate:celebrate 20180422_024319.jpg 20180422_015157.jpg 20180422_015208.jpg

drumstick diva and BlueBaby like this.
  2. ChooksNQuilts

ChooksNQuilts Crowing

Nov 26, 2017
    Southwest Idaho
    I have no idea what they are but they’re super cute! They look like they might feather out blue or splash maybe?

moniquem and BreenaAndTony like this.
  3. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Free Ranging

Mar 21, 2016
    Maricopa, AZ. (near Phoenix)
    They look just like my Blue Australorp chicks do when they are that young. Also, the Blues come in different shades of Blue in this breed. That lightest one is not a Splash one. Those would be more yellowish white with just bit's of Blue throughout the rest of it.

4. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Free Ranging

Mar 21, 2016
    Maricopa, AZ. (near Phoenix)
    The rooster in my avatar is a Splash Australorp. Just to show you the difference between the Blue and the Splash Australorp chicks. (3 of the chicks in the picture are Blues. 4 of them are Splash):

IMG_6930.JPG

drumstick diva and BreenaAndTony like this.
  5. Nyla

Nyla Crowing

Jan 3, 2017
    Northwest, Indiana
    You can ask your TS which hatchery their chicks came from, then look up the hatchery's birds and match them up.

6. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    They looks like blue somtheings. Possibly Australorp.

BreenaAndTony likes this.
  7. BreenaAndTony

Nov 1, 2016
    Didn't think of that! Very good idea! Thanks...

Nyla likes this.
  8. JedJackson

JedJackson Crowing

Jul 6, 2016
    There aren't a ton of possibilities. They're large fowl chicks, blue plumage and white skin, as can be seen from the one chick's feet. So that leaves blue Andalusians, blue Orpingtons, blue copper Marans, blue Ameraucana, and I guess blue Australorps, which I know nothing about. I can't tell what type of combs they have, but if they're pea combs, then the answer is Ameraucana, but I don't see much indication of beards or muffs. If they have single combs, Ameraucanas can be excluded. I doubt they are Marans. So that leaves Andalusian, Orpington or Australorp, and you'd have to wait until they grew to know which.

drumstick diva and BreenaAndTony like this.
  9. BreenaAndTony

Nov 1, 2016
    I looked up the breeds available on TS.com last night and of all the breeds I found they look most like Blue Copper Marans? But, I've notice on most of the pics I've seen that some, not all have lightly feathered legs. Mine do not... ***This is not my photo*** Blue_Copper_Marans_Chicks.jpg

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member 9 Years

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x2 Jed Jackson

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: