What Breed are these Chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HighNDryFarm, Jun 6, 2011.

1. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    Picked up 4 chicks from our local feed store and they had just gotten 100 "brown egg laying" chicks. The Australorps I could tell but the light colored ones I wasn't sure. They said the choices are Buff Orpington, Sexlink or Rhode Island Red. I picked up two RIR from another feed store a couple days later because my husband wanted some (the two smaller red girls) and I was pretty sure they weren't in the four I picked.

So from this picture, the one's that I am questioning are the 4 lighter, larger chicks. Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. FarmerJohn3285

FarmerJohn3285 County Line Farms

Nov 18, 2010
    Trenton, SC
    I'm going with Red Sexlink. Too light (white coloring) for RIR, and too dark for BO. So, IMO the red and white coloring is that of Red Sexlink. [​IMG]

Good luck with them! The sexlinks attach themselves to their "mama" or "daddy" in my case very quickly! [​IMG]

3. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    Quote:x2

4. HighNDryFarm

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    I was thinking the same except the lightest one, upper left. Do you think she could be an Orpington?

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I second the sexlinks for the 4 light ones.

I did want to ask if these were sold to you as pullets, because the lightest one is the spitting image of my accidental rooster sex-link.

I hope that's not bad news!

6. HighNDryFarm

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    Quote:Well, I guess I'll post the picture here instead of starting a new thread...when I went out to get pictures for another chicken I was asking about I grabbed this pic because I thought the same thing! Geez, I have enough roo's!!!!!! Yes, they were sold as "brown egg laying chicks"......I confirmed they were NOT straight run since I've put enough time and feed out to raising the last ones which since I hatched myself I knew I would get some cockerels, that's why I purchased pullets!

[​IMG]

7. Grillmaster33

Grillmaster33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Triad, NC
    Rhode Island and Sex Links.

White one....White Rock maybe?

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Oooo, yeah sorry, you can see his little comb coming in already. I ordered mine as guaranteed pullets too, and they goofed and gave me one roo.

I will pray for good BYC juju that it's actually another breed and a pullet. [​IMG]

9. billfields

billfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:Don't think so...they're not white, they're a golden buff. The red and white look like my Golden Comet so I would say sex link

10. lovemybluelacedred

lovemybluelacedred Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    Person County, NC
    the white one and two brown ones look just like my Ameraucanas, but i still have alot to learn lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by