What breed are these chicks?

acowguy

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 2, 2013
We are hatching what we purchased as Lavender Orphs and Marans. The chicks that are suppose to be lavender are pictured and are yellow. I have never had this breed and am wondering do they come out yellow? The one's I have seen in pictures were grayish in color as chicks.

The person I purchased the eggs from has Buffs orphs too. I am thinking maybe they mixed eggs?

Your right. I think the breeder mixed up the eggs. Lavenders should be gray/silver chicks. They look like nice buffs though
hide.gif
Congrats on the hatch - they all look healthy.

Thank you. Kind thought so, but I am much better with cattle than chickens. LOL. We have had pretty good luck with this group so far. Little ones are a day old.

I contacted the breeder of the Lavender Orphs. They said, oh yes the Lavendar Orphs start out as yellow and turn colors. Can someone who has Lavenders help me out on this one? The other breeder I contacted said that is incorrect? The chicks are definitely not pale yellow. They look just like my Buff Orphs. Thanks so much in advance.

I just bought 4 lavender orpington chicks, who were 5 days old at time of pick up. They are definitely silver with hints of yellow only on their undersides. NOTHING like my buff orpingtons looked like. Send her pictures, let her know accidents happen but you just wanted to let her know. Hopefully she does indeed breed lavenders and wasn't trying to pull a fast one on you and get a premium for eggs from buff orpingtons.

I just bought 4 lavender orpington chicks, who were 5 days old at time of pick up. They are definitely silver with hints of yellow only on their undersides. NOTHING like my buff orpingtons looked like. Send her pictures, let her know accidents happen but you just wanted to let her know. Hopefully she does indeed breed lavenders and wasn't trying to pull a fast one on you and get a premium for eggs from buff orpingtons.
Thank you. Its hard when purchasing on the internet and not knowing the breeds. Of course I tried to research and as you have stated all the chicks i saw were grayish after hatching. The breeder does have Buff's and I am hoping as well they weren't trying to do as you suggest. Thanks again for your information. You can see the little boogers. They are healthy but bright yellow!

Back
Top Bottom