What breed are these ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ladyfarmer10, Jul 7, 2010.

1. ladyfarmer10

ladyfarmer10 Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    alabama
    [​IMG]

2. Senna95

Senna95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    I'd guess that they have fawn and white indian runner in them...... maybe crossed with pekin???

3. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    mutts? the head looks pekin to me , but dont take my word! its early here and im still half asleep

4. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    The colouring looks very much like Fawn and White Indian Runner but they look a bit bigger so maybe crossed with a bigger breed...?

5. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    They are probably Fawn and White Runners, just really poor type, production bred birds. Runner type is easy to get far off track in only 1-2 generations, hence the larger size and lower stature. That color though requires at least 2-3 generations of selective breeding to get, so it is doubtful they are mixes. It is doubtful that someone would know enough to selectively breed mixes to that color and yet let the body type completely go so they are probably hatchery type Runners that have just been production bred and lost Runner type.

6. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    What Citychicker said and--wow, those are the worst type I've ever seen. Sorry. [​IMG] They are pretty birds, don't get me wrong--ducks are awesome--and they're probably really great birds. But I wouldn't breed from them. I've got Holderread birds (exhibition bred, high quality) and I've got McMurray birds (production bred, medium quality). The difference between them is pretty astounding, but even my McMurray birds look more like Runners than those do.

They look sweet, though, and I'll bet they're great layers. Production bred birds often have great production qualities, and if you wanted a non-Runner-type bird with Runner qualities and the awesome fawn/white coloring, then you've got it! lol Are they yours?

7. ladyfarmer10

May 28, 2010
    alabama
    Yes,they are mine,[​IMG] we like duck eggs,and the lady that had them could notbuy feed,so ....now I have 8 of them.LOL
    Thanks everybody

8. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Cool. You are going to LOVE having them. [​IMG]

9. ladyfarmer10

May 28, 2010
    alabama
    could these be saxony ducks

10. ladyfarmer10