What breed are these four hens!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JessyGii, Dec 6, 2016.

1. JessyGii

JessyGii Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2012
    Ohio
    Today I adopted four hens that were rescued from a hording situation from the humane society. This person had hundreds of chickens living in their tiny big city home. Allot of the birds taken from the house were breeds like silkies, polish, game fowl, leghorns, RIR, easter eggers and much more,

I am trying to figure out what breeds i got so that i can learn more about them. Some of these hens have spurs also which i have never seen before but read that hens can get spurs and that its common in Mediterranean types.

Here are some photos. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JessyGii

JessyGii Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2012
    Ohio
    Theres two black ones one has a beard and looks like a easter egger but doesn't have green legs, the other black one has no beard but black and almost the same markings of gold around the neck. Theres the one spotted coloring one and then the light brownish one with silver like markings and the big tail. They are all much smaller compared to my sussex hen, but they aren't as small as a tiny bantam. They are comparable to the size of my silver spangled hamberg rooster, the spotted one is the smallest.

3. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Overrun With Chickens

If they had hundreds living in the house like what was mentioned and there were several breeds involved, then my guess is that they would all be mixed breeds.

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    x2

Almost assuredly all will be mixed breeds if they've got hundreds of birds freely moving around...one would have to assume some roosters (at least a few) and the owner was breeding.

I see a lot of game influence in those pictured.

LofMc

5. MountainManFowl

MountainManFowl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2016
    Northwest Colorado
    I'd say those are game chickens. All mixed up, most likely, but most if not all are games-even the bearded ones... I think they have muff blood, rather than EE or ameracauna. The spurred hen thing is super cool!

6. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia

x3

7. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    games & game crosses

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree there's a lot of game blood there.

They'll likely be scrappy little things, good foragers given the chance. Probably not stellar layers, but good broody mommas.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x 2 game crosses

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by