1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed are these girls?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by knoser, Sep 11, 2016.

1. knoser

knoser New Egg

Jun 9, 2016
    These girls were given to me and some people have told me they are all Black Sexlinks and others have said the lighter ones are just a mix of who knows and the black with the red/golden necks are marans. Can anyone help me identify?
    Thanks for any help you all can offer!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I'm not sure how many birds you have total, but the mostly black ones are Black Sex Links and the lighter multi-brown ones are Brown Leghorns.

1 person likes this.
  3. knoser

knoser New Egg

Jun 9, 2016
    Oh wow! Thanks! Total I have 13 chickens, two of them are the mostly black ones pictured and I have four of the multi-brown ones. The black girls are very sweet and friendly but the brown ones are extremely antisocial and skittish. Also one of the four has a totally different comb than the other three. Hers is a pea comb and the others as you can see have huge single combs and all of them flop over.

Thanks again! KO

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Agree with Misha. The brown birds with white earlobes are brown Leghorns. They are stellar layers of large white eggs. Leghorns are also flightier than a lot of other breeds, but it does help them evade predators better if that's a concern. They don't go broody and don't eat as much as the larger hens either.

I think this bird

[​IMG]

Is the one with the different comb? Brown Leghorns do come in a rose comb variety, that may be what she is. Or, she may be a mix, hard to say from the pic.

The other hens are black sex links. Wonderful layers of large brown eggs.

Overall, quite a nice flock for egg prodiction [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    x2

1 person likes this.
  6. knoser

knoser New Egg

Jun 9, 2016
    Thanks all! I'm excited for them to start laying soon. Only my barred rock, RIRs, and RSLs have started laying. Still waiting for these ladies to join in the party. [​IMG][​IMG]

7. knoser

knoser New Egg

Jun 9, 2016
    Yes that's her with the different comb. She is the most flighty of all four and she refuses to roost in the coop at night with the other chickens. She prefers to stay with my turkeys... [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Queen Misha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by