What breed are these Hens and Cock please!!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KrisLW, Feb 12, 2012.

1. KrisLW

KrisLW Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Hello,

One of my friends has these hens and cockerel....I was thinking of hatching some eggs from them. Could anyone tell me what breeds they actually are please? What offspring would I get from the 2 possible crosses? I wonder whether the cock is a Marans.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks for your help!

KrisLW

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Are the two black hens the same? Do they have white bottoms of feet? If white they could be Black Copper Marans, if yellow they are black sex links. The red hen looks like a red sex link and the rooster looks like a Barred Rock.but again look at the leg coloring, if yellow: Rock, if white: Cuckoo Marans.

3. KrisLW

KrisLW Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Hi yes the two black hens are the same...I didn't check the bottom of their feet! Wish I did...I guess I'll have to make a phonecall!!

Thanks

4. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    The black hens with gold leakage are most likely Black Sexlinks, and the red hen looks like a Red Sexlink or Production Red. The rooster looks like a Black Sexlink as well -- the males are barred similar to Barred Rocks. I doubt he's a pure BR or Marans though, on account of the red leakage on his neck and shoulders.

You can't breed sexlinks and get sexlinks. Sexlinks are a one time cross. If you breed them and hatch the eggs you'll just have barnyard mixes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by