What breed are these hens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by A05951, Oct 3, 2015.

1. A05951

A05951 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2014
    Madison, WI
    I adopted these two hens from someone who had 12 hens and 3 roosters of mixed breeds and sizes. She thought they were a combo of a bantam and standard size hen and about a year old. Other than that, she couldn't tell me about their parentage. I picked them out because they were smaller than the Buff Orpingtons she had as I am going to put them with my sole Bovan Brown chicken who only weighs about 3.25 to 3.5 pounds. They are about her same size visually. I'm wondering if someone could help me identify what breeds they might have come from. Even though I was told they were about one year old, but the black one's feet look a little old, and both their combs seem to be dullish. However, I'm not used to looking at these small pea-like combs. They gray one seems to be loosing feathers and fine hair-like feather parts, maybe from her fluffy underside area. Not sure. I've had them quarantined for a little over two weeks now and they haven't laid any eggs. I have just introduced them to my old hen through a fence, which caused the grayish one and my old hen to fight like roosters through the fence. Thank goodness the fence was there. Any help on breeds/age would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I would say that they are both mixed breeds. The barred one is likely a Cuckoo Marans mix, and the black one may be a Black Australorp mix. It is hard to identify a chicken's age after a certain point. However, to me, they do look to be at least a year old.

3. A05951

A05951 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2014
    Madison, WI
    Thanks for the reply. Does it look like they should be laying? I guess I could research each of those breeds further to see when they typically start to lay. I'm wondering if they were born this year and just haven't started laying yet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by