What breed are these hens?

Birdragon

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 2, 2012
Colorado
I'm not so great at species yet...could someone help me out?
8471873-gray-and-white-chicken-hen-that-is-looking-for-food.jpg
This is not a pic of my pullet, mine is greyer and has less comb. The distinction between black and white is less prominent.

content
These are two of my pullets. The red has fluffy cheeks and has just started laying! The orange is the same age but hasn't started yet.
content

content
And another mystery hen

Last edited:
Well, one of them is red, but darker red than my RIR with some black speckles, fluffy cheeks, and a smaller comb.
The other one is pretty much this solid orange-gold color with a tint bit of black on the tail tip and a tiny comb. She is slimmer than the others, but not unhealthily so.

if your RIR is not dark it is most likely a production red (aka hatchery RIR). RIR should be pretty dark red like these

RIR roo
RIRMUK.JPEG
RIRM.JPEG
RIRBtyCklOz.JPEG

RIR hen
RRhen.JPEG
RIRBtyHSit.JPEG
SerbiaRIRHen.JPEG

utility RIR hen
RIRHen.JPEG

Well, one of them is red, but darker red than my RIR with some black speckles, fluffy cheeks, and a smaller comb.
The other one is pretty much this solid orange-gold color with a tint bit of black on the tail tip and a tiny comb. She is slimmer than the others, but not unhealthily so.
we really do need pics

The dark red one looks to be an Easter egger, very pretty colours though what eggs does she lay? Maybe it is crossed with an RIR. The buff one looks like a buff orpington, not sure on the bantam, maybe some sort of game? Sorry couldnt help more but they look to all be girls.

The red one looks like it has a beard so I would say ee mix and the gold one looks like a Buff orphington. The last pic looks like a Wellsummer.

The red and the one in the last pic both lay greenish blue eggs. The orange has yet to lay. So... Easter Egger, Buff Orpington and a bantam Wellsummer?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom